Posted by Catherine on Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 3:36pm.
What does this poem mean? (tone, mood, and rhyme scheme)
At the Un-National Monument Along the Canadian Border
This is the field where the battle did not happen,
where the unknown soldier did not die.
This is the field where grass joined hands,
where no monument stands,
and the only heroic thing is the sky.
Birds fly here without any sound,
unfolding their wings across the open.
No people killed — or were killed — on this ground
hallowed by neglect and an air so tame
that people celebrate it by forgetting its name
- english - Writeacher, Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 3:37pm
Make sure you understand all three terms. Then let us know what you think.
- english - Catherine, Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 3:40pm
I was asking if that could be included in the analysis.
- english - Writeacher, Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 3:45pm
Oh, for sure.
This website -- http://writingcenter.unc.edu/resources/handouts-demos/specific-writing-assignments/poetry-explications -- is one of the best I've seen for giving students direction in reading and analyzing and writing about poems. You may not have to include a section on meter, but all the rest is excellent to include.
- english - Anonymous, Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 3:46pm
Thank you! i think this will help a lot!
- english - Writeacher, Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 3:48pm
Let us know what you write. =)
- english - Anonymous, Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 4:51pm
Would the tone be serious?
- english - Writeacher, Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 5:19pm
Tone is simply the overriding EMOTION of the work. It could be serious, but there's at least one other that's more specific. What do you think?
- english - KATHERINE, Monday, July 30, 2012 at 4:33pm
SYNONYMS AND ANTONYMS
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Poem+ english+ check!!! - The way a crow Shook down on me The dust of snow From ...
- english - When mapping out a poem's rhyme scheme and the poem exceeds the amount...
- English - Can you please check if the word choice is correct and if the words in...
- English - We're studying a Dickinson poem Wild Nights-- I have a question Wild ...
- english - What is the rhyme scheme? How can I find the rhyme scheme of a poem?
- Ed Tech - What is rhyme scheme? A. The stressed and unstressed syllables within ...
- English - The patriotism of the speaker in Rupert Brooke's "The Soldier" gives a...
- Poetry - What is rhyme scheme? (1 point_ The stressed and unstressed syllables ...
- Literature - I am studying Petrarchan poems in my lit class. Right now I am ...
- English- rhyme schemes - What is the rhyme scheme of William Shakespeare's "Full...