Posted by Kellin on Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 3:11pm.
why were the noble gases considered to be inert gases until the 1960s?
honors chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 3:50pm
They didn't react with anything to form compounds.
honors chemistry - Elizabeth, Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 4:01pm
Their oxidation number of 0 prevents the noble gases from forming compounds readily. All noble gases have the maximum number of electrons possible in their outer shell (2 for Helium, 8 for all others), making them stable.
honors chemistry - Kellin, Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 4:32pm
Explain what the term "halogen" means and why they have this name, and which halogens exist as a solid, a liquid, and a gas at room temperature.
honors chemistry - Elizabeth, Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 4:34pm
The term "halogen" means "salt-former" and compounds containing halogens are called "salts". All halogens have 7 electrons in their outer shells, giving them an oxidation number of -1. The halogens exist, at room temperature, in all three states of matter: Solid- Iodine, Astatine. Liquid- Bromine. Gas- Fluorine, Chlorine.
honors chemistry - Kellin, Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 4:44pm
honors chemistry - Elizabeth, Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 4:55pm
honors chemistry - Kellin, Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 4:57pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Grade 9 Chemistry (2) - What is one way in which Noble Gases are different from ...
- Chemistry - To prevent the presence of air, noble gases are placed over highly ...
- chemistry - describe the predominant forces that exist between molecules of the ...
- Solubility of gases - Can somebody tell me a list of (common) gases that are ...
- Chemistry - All the noble gases except helium crystallize with fcc structures. ...
- Science/Biology/Physics - Which of the following represents Boyle's gas law? A. ...
- Chemistry - A 1.0 liter flask is filled with a mixture of two gases at 20. oC ...
- Chemistry - Explain why the Noble Gases are unreactive
- Chemistry-Gases - A mixture of gases is prepared from 76.9 g of O2 and 16.0 g of...
- Chemistry - what are three chraracteristics of metalloids and 2 characteristics ...