Posted by carl on Monday, May 14, 2012 at 9:33am.
for randomly selected adults, IQ scores are normally distributed with a standard deviation of 15. the scores of 14 randomly selected college students are listed below. use a 0.10 significance level to test the claim that the standard deviation of IQ scores of college students is less than 15. round the smaple standard deviation to three decimal places.
115, 128, 107, 109, 116, 124, 135
127, 115, 104, 118, 126, 129, 133
- stat - MathGuru, Monday, May 14, 2012 at 7:01pm
Null and alternative hypotheses:
Ho: The population standard deviation is = 15
Ha: The population standard deviation is < 15
sample standard deviation = ? (Note: standard deviation is the square root of the variance; therefore, variance is standard deviation squared).
level of significance = 0.10
n = 14
Calculate the standard deviation from the data given.
The test statistic used in making a decision is the chi-square.
Here's the formula:
chi-square = (sample size - 1)(sample variance)/(value specified in the null hypothesis)
Note: Convert both standard deviations to variances when working with the formula.
Degrees of freedom is equal to n - 1, which is 13.
Checking a chi-square table using alpha = 0.10 with 13 degrees of freedom, find the critical value.
If the test statistic exceeds the critical value from the chi-square table, then the null is rejected and you can accept the alternative hypothesis. If the test statistic does not exceed the critical value from the table, then the null cannot be rejected and you cannot conclude a difference.
I hope this will help get you started.
- stat - Anonymous, Monday, November 16, 2015 at 5:34pm
Test statistic: chi 2 = 5.571. Critical value: chi 2 = 7.042.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Test scores on a university admissions test are normally distributed, ...
- stats - Test scores on a university admissions test are normally distributed, ...
- statistics - Prep Courses? Scores for men (nationwide) on the verbal portion of ...
- math - on a mathematics test in high school, scores are normally distributed ...
- statistics - Suppose that SAT scores among U.S. college students are normally ...
- statistics - assume that adults have IQ scores that are normally distributed ...
- Statistics - assume that adults have IQ scores that are normally distributed ...
- algebra2 - Scores on a test are normally distributed with a mean of 75 and a ...
- statistics - A final exam in Math 157 is normally distributed and has a mean of ...
- statistics - Scores on a visual perception test are normally distributed with a ...