Posted by Linda on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 7:49pm.
A sample of a gas at STP has its temperature raised to 510C and its pressure raised to 5 atm. If the initial volume of this gas is 100.0 ml, what will the final volume be?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 8:17pm
(P1V1/T1) = (P2V2/T2)
Remember T must be in kelvin.
- Chemistry - Linda, Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 8:29pm
is the answer .98?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 8:45pm
0.98 WHAT? No it isn't. If you will post your work I'll find the error.
- Chemistry - Amanda, Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 8:49pm
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 8:58pm
You have no T1 in your equation. You have not converted 510 C to kelvin for T2.
You have the equal sign in the wrong place. Substituee into the equation as is. Don't rearrange it until all of the numbers are in.
(P1V1/T1) = (P2V2/T2)
Write the down so you can follow what you're doing.
P1 = 1 atm
V1 = 100 mL
T1 = 273
- Chemistry - Amanda, Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 9:56pm
what do i plug in for v2 and p2 then?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 10:28pm
Are we reading the same problem?
P1 = 1 atm (STP is standard T and P which is 273 for T and 1 atm for P)
V1 = 100 mL in the problem.
T1 = 273STP again.
P2 = 5 atm from the problem.
V2 = this is what you are to calculate.
T2 = 510 converted to kelvin.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - 17 liters of a gas is at an initial temperature of 67 degrees C and ...
- College Chemistry - A Cylinder is filled with 1.20 mol of He(g) at 25 C under ...
- Chemistry - a sample of helium gas is in a closed system with a movable piston. ...
- Chem 1000 - A Cylinder is filled with 1.20 mol of He(g) at 25 C under ambient ...
- physics - A sample of gas at P = 1123 Pa, V = 1.41 L, and T = 291 K is confined ...
- Engineering Physics - An ideal gas at 12.1 °C and a pressure of 2.38 x 105 Pa ...
- chem help - Initially a gas is at a pressure of 12 atm, a volume of 23 L, and a ...
- Physics - An ideal gas at 6.0°C and a pressure of 1.92 105 Pa occupies a volume ...
- chemistry - 1)A sample of CO2 gas which weighs 0.85 grams has a volume of 1.30 ...
- chemistry - At 16°C a sample of ammonia gas exerts a pressure of 11.7 atm. What ...