Posted by DAN on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 4:02pm.
Write the formulas for the following substances as they would appear in a total ionic equation:
a) Aqueous acetic acid
b) solid lithium carbonate
c) Aqueous ammonia
d) Aqueous sodium dihydrogen phosphate
I don't know, do we have to write the formula [like ammonia is NH3] Or something else. PLEASE HELP ME with at least 2 or 3 of them. THANX!!
CHEMISTRY - DrBob222, Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 4:56pm
It isn't exactly clear but I assume what the problem is asking is for you to know how to display the formula in net ionic equations. Remember when converting a molecular equation to a net ionic equation you write
1. gases as molecules.
2. insoluble substances as molecules.
3. Weak electrolytes as molecules.
4. Everything else as ions.
Is that what you think? In answer to the NH3 question, yes, you write aq NH3 as NH3 since it is a weak base.
NaH2PO4 would be written as the ions; i.e., Na+ + H2PO4^-
CHEMISTRY - DAN, Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 5:24pm
yeah i get that, and so what would you write acetic acid as, just the same??
And also thanx for explaining above
CHEMISTRY - DrBob222, Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 5:57pm
Acetic acid is a weak acid; we would write that as CH3COOH if we have the problem figures out right.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry 101 - Write the molecular, total ionic, and net ionic, for the ...
- Chemistry - How do these react? Some may have no reaction. a. aqueous chromium(...
- Chemistry - Aqueous sulfurous acid H2SO3 and aqueous sodium chloride are formed ...
- chemistry - are this 2 equations the same NIE? and if not how come? Write a net ...
- Chemistry - Addition of which of the following substances will increase the ...
- chem - Aqueous sodium chloride and aqueous sulfurous acid are formed by the ...
- Chemistry-help - I am rather confused about writing ionic equations. 1) SOLID ...
- Chemistry - Please help me Sketch a separation scheme showing how you would ...
- college chem - Two questions where I have to write a balanced net ionic equation...
- Chemistry - Write the following into a balanced equation. a) When a mixture of ...