Posted by Hoema on Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 5:59pm.
find the altitude on hypotenuse if a=6cm and b=8cm?
- math(geometry) - Ms. Sue, Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 6:05pm
I'm guessing that you mean the hypotenuse is 8 cm.
a^2 + c^2 = b^2
6^2 + c^2 = 8^2
36 + c^2 = 64
c^2 = 64 - 36
c^2 = 28
c = 5.2915
If you need to find the hypotnuse -- then
6^2 + 8^2 = c^2
36 + 64 = c^2
100 = c^2
10 = c
The second solution is probably the one you need.
- math(geometry) - Ms. Sue, Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 6:13pm
I think I understand now. You are looking for the LENGTH of the hypotenuse.
- math(geometry) - Steve, Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 6:27pm
or, if D is the foot of the altitude on the hypotenuse AB, then by similar triangles
CD/CA = CB/AB
CD/6 = 8/10
CD = 48/10 = 4.8
Answer this Question
- geometry - In the diagram below, the length of the legs AC and BC of right ...
- geometry - The hypotenuse of a right triangle is 8cm and one leg is 6cm. Find ...
- Geometry - The altitude to the hypotenuse of a right triangle ABC divides the ...
- Geometry - The altitude of the hypotenuse of a right triangle divides the ...
- Math - the altitude, AD, to the hypotenuse BC of right triangle ABC divides the ...
- geometry - The altitude upon the hypotenuse of a right triangle divides the ...
- Geometry - I need help in this problem: A 14-foot ladder is leaning against a ...
- Geometry- how to write proof - ABC is a right triangle. Angle C is 90 degree. ...
- Math- Geometry - Can anyone help me answer this question... Find the area of a ...
- geometry - triangle GHE GH=10 HE = 17 hypotenuse GE =21 HF is an altitude Find ...