Posted by Alica on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 8:45pm.
A 1.60-g bullet, moving at 542 m/s, strikes a 0.249-kg piece of wood at rest on a frictionless table. The bullet sticks in the wood, and the combined mass moves slowly down the table.
(a) Find the speed of the combination after the collision.
(b) Find the kinetic energy of the bullet before the collision.
(c) Find the kinetic energy of the combination after the collision.
(d) How much kinetic energy did the bullet lose?
(e) What percent of the bullet's original kinetic energy is lost?
- AP physics - Elena, Friday, May 11, 2012 at 2:28pm
m1 = 0.0016 kg, v1 = 542 m/s, m2 =0.249, v2 = 0, u = ?
(a) m1•v1 +m2•v2 = (m1+m2) •u
u = m1•v1/(m1+m2).
(b) KE1 =m1•v1²/2.
(c) KE = ((m1+m2) •u²/2
(d) ΔKE = KE1 – KE.
(e) (ΔKE/KE1) •100%
- AP physics - Alica, Friday, May 11, 2012 at 7:48pm
I have never used these equations before, can you explain/ show me
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - A 2.00kg bullet moving at 600m/s strikes a piece of wood at rest on a ...
- physics - A bullet of mass 0.0019 kg moving at 487 m/s embeds itself in a large ...
- Physics - A bullet of mass kg moving at 500 m⁄s embeds itself in a large, ...
- physics - A 25 g bullet is fired from a gun into a 1.35 kg block of wood ...
- Physics - A bullet with a mass of 0.01kg is fired horizontally into a block of ...
- Physics - A .22 rifle bullet, traveling at 373m/s, strikes a block of soft wood...
- physics - As shown in the diagram, a bullet of mass 7.0 g strikes a block of ...
- physics - A bullet of mass 10 g has a speed of 500 m/s. a) What is its kinetic ...
- physics - A 20 g bullet moving horizontally with a speed v hits a 2-kg block of ...
- Physics - A 14g bullet is traveling at 306m/s when it strikes a block of wood. ...