Posted by cha on Tuesday, May 8, 2012 at 8:43pm.
Subtract six and one-half minus four and seven-tenths. Justify your steps
- MATH - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, May 8, 2012 at 8:48pm
6 1/2 - 4 7/10
You'll need to change the first fraction so that it has the same denominator. You'll also need to regroup.
6 1/2 = 5 15/10
5 15/10 - 4 7/10 = ?
- MATH - Jai, Tuesday, May 8, 2012 at 8:56pm
6 1/2 - 4 7/10
first, we convert this to improper fraction (numerator is greater than denominator). We do this be multiplying the whole number to the denominator then add to the numerator:
(6*2 + 1)/2 - (4*10 + 7)/10
(12 + 1)/2 - (40 + 7)/10
13/2 - 47/10
Then, we find the least common denominator (LCD) of the fractions. Their LCD is 10 (it is the smallest number where we can divide 2 and 10 without remainder). We have no problem for the second fraction (since its denominator is already 10). For the first fraction, we do this by dividing the LCD by 2 (10/2 = 5) then multiply this to numerator. Thus,
13*5 / 10 - 47/10
65/10 - 47/10
18/10 or 9/5 or 1 4/5
hope this helps~ :)
- MATH - Your Mom, Monday, April 7, 2014 at 7:18pm
spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam
- MATH - tyslene, Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 9:35pm
How do you write the decimal as a fraction or a mixed number. 0.4986 in simplest form
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - Subtract six and one-half minus four and seven-tenths. Justify your steps...
- math - Subtract five and two-fifths minus two and nine-tenths. Justify your ...
- Math - If the product of four tenths and six tenths is subtracted from the sum ...
- math - Write the decimal for each of the following: 1.) two and fifteen ...
- math - if the product of six tenths and three tenths is subtracted from the sum ...
- math - 1.0 Four square root of seven open bracket two square root of three plus ...
- math - Simply: (a) Four multiply by square root of seven open bracket two ...
- math - write as an equation- seven more than twenty less one half of six is ...
- math - write each mixed number as a decimal.3 and seven tenths. 4 and one half ...
- math - Help!!I need to understand how to estimate the sum or difference for ...