Posted by Mel on Tuesday, May 8, 2012 at 2:49pm.
Please i need help, Im trying so hard on this and i just cant do it. Im suppose to look at the painting Magdalene with Smoking Flame by Georges de la Tour, and use the art criticism approach to explain why this piece of art is a success or failure in the art world. I know the 4 steps of art criticism are description, analysis, interpretation, and judgment. My book explains the steps. But i mean they make you look for hues in the picture, and how the principles and elements of the picture work together. Im NOT good at this stuff, I dont know how to analize a picture... I cant tell the different hues of it.. or how to use these different steps!
- Fine Arts - Writeacher, Tuesday, May 8, 2012 at 3:05pm
Start with the first link here (it will bring up a PDF file) and see if that helps. There are other links here that should be helpful, too.
Give it a try and let us know what you come up with.
- Fine Arts - Mel, Tuesday, May 8, 2012 at 3:22pm
I have all the elements down, im just struggling on analysis, like where i have to describe how the elements of art, and principles of art are used. I have no idea how they're used.
I know the elements of art are like different colors and hues and such, and i wrote down like the curvy lines in her dress, etc.
- Fine Arts - Writeacher, Tuesday, May 8, 2012 at 3:39pm
You also need to focus on the way the painter used light in this. Notice what's in full light, and notice what is in the shadows.
What is she looking at? What is she holding in her hand? Do they complement each other? (complement is another word for balance) What do you think she is thinking?
Turn your imagination loose. Lighten up! Remember that artworks are to be interpreted by the rest of us, and not everyone will see the same things.
- Fine Arts - Mel, Tuesday, May 8, 2012 at 3:57pm
Alright thank you,
Yeah Its just hard to understand art sometimes,
but ill let you know if i need more help, but i think i got it from here! :)
- Fine Arts - Writeacher, Tuesday, May 8, 2012 at 4:03pm
You're welcome. Let us know what you come up with.
- Fine Arts - Mel, Tuesday, May 8, 2012 at 7:43pm
Ok i basically finished it, but i need to know what the painting means, and what the mood of the painting is.
Now i think the painting means how shes thinking about her existence, and the skull represents death, but i dont know what the flame represents.
As for the mood, im not sure, maybe confused? lonely ?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - Suppose a flame of a gas burner stove emits light just like a ...
- English - I urgently need you to check this mail, Writeacher. I also included a ...
- Physics - I had posted this question once before, but no one helped me on this ...
- Science - I really need help with This me and my mom are trying so hard! Just ...
- physics - Suppose the fame of a gas burner stove emits light just like a ...
- fine art - Ok, if someone saw a fine art painting and they said great picture VS...
- Sociology Follow Up - Here are some of the rationalizations I came up for ...
- Debating - I need to provide arguments that mining is not horrible for the ...
- Art - What are two techniques used in the painting Peasant with Hoe by Georges ...
- fine arts - i need to write about the first established female artist, at what ...