Posted by emmie on Tuesday, May 8, 2012 at 1:20pm.
A 75kg snowboarder has an initial velocity of 5.0 m/s at the top of a 28 degree incline. After sliding down the 110m long incline (on which the coefficient of kinetic friction is = Bk0.18), the snowboarder has attained a velocity v . The snowboarder then slides along a flat surface (on which Bk= 0.15) and comes to rest after a distance x .
Part a) Use Newton's second law to find the snowboarder's acceleration while on the incline and while on the flat surface.
part b)Then use these accelerations to determine x .
- physics - Elena, Tuesday, May 8, 2012 at 2:05pm
m =75 kg, vₒ=5 m/s, s = 110 m,
k1 = 0.18, k2 = 0.15.
a1=? a2=?, x =?
The equations of the motion along the incline are
x: m•a1 = m•g•sinα – F1(fr),
y: 0 = - m•g•cosα + N.
F1(fr) = k1•N=k1•m•g•cos α,
m•a1 = m•g•sinα – k1•m•g•cos α,
a1 = g• (sinα - k1•cos α) = 9.8•(0.469 – 0.18•0.883) = 3.04 m/s².
s =vₒ•t + a1•t²/2 .
v = sqrt(2•a1•s +vₒ²) = sqrt(2•3.04•110 + 25) = 26.33 m/s.
The motion along a flat surface:
m•a2 = F2(fr) = k2•m•g,
a2 = k2•g = 0.15•9.8 = 1.47 m/s².
x = v²/2•a2 = (26.33)²/2•1.47 = 235 m.
- physics - Anonymous, Tuesday, October 21, 2014 at 10:46am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - 1. A snowboarder of mass 60 kg is at rest on the top of a sand dune. ...
- physics - A person who weighs 80kg sliding down a 30 degree incline with a ...
- Physics - A box is sliding down an incline tilted at an angle of 2.14° above ...
- Physics(Please help) - 1) A box is sliding up an incline that makes an angle of ...
- Physics - A 13.0 -kg box is released on a 33 degree incline and accelerates down...
- physics - A 19.62 kg block is sliding down a 34.52 degree incline at a constant ...
- physics - A block is released from rest at the top of an incline which makes a ...
- Physics - A block is released from rest at the top of an incline which makes a ...
- Physics - A 13.0 kg box is released on a 33 degree incline and accelerates down ...
- Physics - a 35 kg child slides down a 26 degree incline. the coefficient of ...