Posted by Dan on Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 11:05pm.
A scuba diver searches for treasure at a depth of 20.0m below the surface of the sea. at what pressure must the scuba device deliver air to the diver? (density of sea water= 1030kg/m^3;atmospheric pressure= 1.013x10^5 pa)
A king's crown is said to be solid gold but may be made of lead and covered with gold. when it is weighed in air, the scale reads 0.475 kg. when it is submerged in water the scale reads 0.437 kg.is it solid gold? if not, what percent is mass is gold? (density of gold= 19.3x10^3 kg/m^3)
- Physics. Need urgent help. - Elena, Monday, May 7, 2012 at 4:32am
p= ρ•g•h + p (atm)=1000•9.8•20 + 101325= =2.97•10^5 Pa.
m=0.475 kg, m1 =0.437 kg
m1•g = m•g – F(buoyancy) =>
m1•g = m•g – ρ(w)•V•g,
V= (m - m1)/ρ(w) = (0.475-0.437)/1000 =3.8•10^-5 m^3.
m1•g = ρ(x) •V•g – ρ(w)•V•g ,
m•g = ρ(x) •V•g,
ρ(x) = m/V = 0.475/3.8•10^-5 =12.5•10^3 kg/m^3
19.3•10^3•x +11.4•10^3•(100-x) = 12.5•10^3•100,
19.3•x+11.4•(100-x) = 12.5•100,
7.9•x = 110,
x =13.92% ≈14%.
The crown is roughly 14% gold and 86% lead.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - A scuba diver searches for treasure at a depth of 20.0m below the ...
- physics - A scuba diver must decompress after a deep dive to allow excess ...
- chem help - a scuba diver breathing normal air descends 100m of depth, where the...
- Chemistry - A scuba diver 40ft below the ocean surface inhales 50.0 ml of ...
- chemistry... confusing! - a scuba diver breathing normal air descend to 100 m of...
- Physics - the pressure at a point below a point below the surface of the sea is ...
- Physics - A scuba diver must decompress after a deep dive to allow excess ...
- chemistry - A mixture of O2 and He is prepared for a scuba diver who is going to...
- Math - Avscuba diver is 12 1/8 feet below sea level. If he descends 6 1/2 more ...
- math - underwater pressure can be found using the formula p=L+d/33 where p is ...