Posted by Zoey on Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 10:17pm.
for the conic y=5x^2-40x+78 find an equation in standard form and its vertex, focus, and directrix
Pre-Calc - Reiny, Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 10:24pm
complete the square
y = 5(x^2 - 8x + ....) + 78
= 5(x^2 - 8x + 16 - 16) + 78
= 5( (x-4)^2 - 16) + 78
= 5(x-4)^2 - 80 + 78
= 5(x-4)^2 - 2
take over ....
Pre-Calc - Zoey, Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 10:48pm
What's my next step??
Pre-Calc - Reiny, Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 11:10pm
We could write our answer in the form
y+2 = 5(x-4)^2
take a look at
half-way down the page at example 3
and follow the steps.
Pre-Calc - Zoey, Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 11:11pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Pre-cal - Sketech the graph of the equation y^2+4y+2x+10=0. Identify the vertex...
- pre cal - What is the center of the conic whose equation is x^2 + 2y^2 - 6x + 8y...
- Pre Cal - write the equations of the parabola, the directrix, and the axis of ...
- Math Help - With the given information below, write the standard form equation ...
- algebra - 6. Find the equation of each parabola described below. a) parabola ...
- Pre-Calc - Find the vertex, value of p, axis of symmetry, focus, and directrix ...
- pre cal - find the standard form of the equation of a parabola with the vertex (...
- Conic Sections - How do you find the equation for this problem? Conic Center(1,3...
- Math - Using the following information for the Vertex and Directrix, write the ...
- Math - Find the vertex, focus, and directrix of the parabola. x^2 - 2x + 8y + 9...