Posted by J on Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 6:25pm.
How is the poem 'Sadie and Maud' by Gwendolyn Brooks synonymous to Realism, Naturalism and Modernism?
- African American Lit - Writeacher, Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 6:27pm
First of all, tell us what you know about Realism
You have to be very clear on what those terms mean before you can make inferences.
- African American Lit - J, Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 6:37pm
For what I am trying to understand I am using these definitions:
Realism- a faithful reproduction of reality and promotes awareness
Naturalism- a harsher treatment of reality and realism
Modernism- connecting realism and naturalism to today.
- African American Lit - Writeacher, Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 6:42pm
Read these, too -- a paragraph or so in each:
Tell me what lines in the poem best illustrate each of those 3 trends.
- African American Lit - J, Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 7:17pm
Would the last stanza be an example of Naturalism?
"Maud, who went to college,
Is a thin brown mouse.
She is living all alone
In this old house."
- African American Lit - Writeacher, Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 7:21pm
Yes, I agree.
"...detailed realism to suggest that social conditions, heredity, and environment had inescapable force in shaping human character."
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Amer Lit - So for my final exam my teacher gave us a study guide and on it under...
- poetry - Figures of speech in Gwendolyn Brooks Poem Medgar Evers?
- english - Which literary movement consists of honest and open descriptions the ...
- english - 1. Which of the following movements sought to present an image without...
- English - Which of the following are characteristic of the growth of realism? ...
- Grammar - Write each pronoun, and write whether it is a subject pronoun or and ...
- English - What genre is "The White Heron"? literary realism romanticism ...
- ART HISTORY - Realism by 1860 had lost its political meaning and became also ...
- English Literature - What is the difference between realism and naturalism?
- English - I have two questions for english that I honestly don't know… I put ...