Posted by Debbie on Monday, April 30, 2012 at 8:42pm.
How do you prepare 2% Cu S04? How does this solution differ from 2M CuS04?
I am stumped. Thank you.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, April 30, 2012 at 8:56pm
You don't specify if this is 2% w/w or 2% w/v. I'll assume you mean 2% w/v.
2% w/v CuSO4 means 2g CuSO4 in 100 mL soln which is the same as 20 g CuSO4 in a L.
2M soln means 2 mols CuSO4/L soln and 2 mols CuSO4 = approximately 2*159.6 g CuSO4 or about 319 g CuSO4/L for a 2M soln.
- Chemistry - Debbie, Monday, April 30, 2012 at 9:36pm
Dr. Bob, thanks for answering. What does w/w and w/v and soln mean? i am an a student in chemistry but am having difficulty with this piece.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, April 30, 2012 at 10:30pm
w/w means weight/weight. Also called m/m for mass/mass. Five % m/m or w/w solution means 5.00 g solute/100 g solution.
w/v means weight/volume. Also called mass/volume. Five % solution m/v or w/v means 5.00 g solute/100 mL solution.
soln is my abbreviation for solution.
There also is a v/v. A 5% v/v means 5 mL solute/100 mL solution.
- Chemistry - Debbie, Monday, April 30, 2012 at 10:52pm
Dr. Bob, thank you kindly. Do you know if copper sulfate is considered an mm solution?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, April 30, 2012 at 11:30pm
No. The solution is whatever you want to make it. If it isn't specified then the author of the problem just didn't add that information to the problem. I have always been told that if it isn't specified to consider it m/m (w/w) but that isn't a rule.
- Chemistry - Debbie, Monday, April 30, 2012 at 11:43pm
Thank you. You have been so helpful. I appreciate it.
Answer this Question
- chemistry - what is the mass of CuS04 needed to prepare a 125ml solution of 3.5M...
- Chemistry - This is the last one Dr Bob! How much concentrated 18 M sulfuric ...
- chemitry who helps me - you are given a solid that is a mixture of na2s04 and ...
- chemistry step by step thank a lot - Al2(s04)3 solution of a molal concentration...
- Chemistry - how to prepare 100cm3 of 1.0moldm3 copper sulphate and from this ...
- chemistry clearly step by step - Al2(s04)3 solution of 1 molal concentration is ...
- algebra - Betty is 6 years older than Deb. 13 years ago, Betty was 4 times older...
- Chemistry Damon step by step for me - you are given a solid that is a mixture of...
- chemistry laboratory - 1. prepare a buffer solution by using acetic acid and ...
- Chemistry - You are instructed to prepare 250 mL of a solution which is 50 M in ...