Posted by kim on Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 6:39pm.
a rectangular piece of cardboard measuring 14 inches by 27 inches is to be made into a box with an open top by cutting squares of equal size from each corner and golding up the sides . let x represent the length of a side of each square. for what value of x will the volume be a maximum? round to two decimal places.
precalculus - Steve, Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 6:50pm
v = x(14-2x)(27-2x)
dv/dx = 2(6x^2 - 82x + 189)
dv/dx=0 when x = (41 ± √547)/6 = 2.93, 10.73
knowing the shape of cubics, you should have no trouble "differentiating" the max from the min.
precalculus - Damon, Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 6:57pm
length = z = 27 -2x
width = y = 14 - 2x
v = (27-2x)(14-2x)x
v = ( 378 - 82 x + 4 x^2 ) x
v = 378 x -82 x^2 + 4 x^3
max when dv/dx = 0
dv/dx = 378 - 164 x + 12 x^2 = 0
6 x^2 - 82 x + 189 = 0
x = [ 82 +/- sqrt (6724-4536) ]/12
x = [82 +/- 46.8 ]/12
x = 10.7 too big, negative width
x = 2.93 inches
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calculus - an open rectangular box is to be made from a piece of cardboard 8 ...
- Pre Calculus - A piece of cardboard measuring 13 inches by 11 inches is formed ...
- math - A box with an open top is to be constructed from a rectangular piece of ...
- Precalculus - From a rectangular piece of cardboard having dimensions a × b, ...
- calculus optimization problem - by cutting away identical squares from each ...
- Calculus (Optimization) - A rectangular piece of cardboard, 8 inches by 14 ...
- Calculus - An open box is to be made from a rectangular piece of material by ...
- math - a piece of cardboard is twice as it is wide. It is to be made into a box ...
- College Algebra - a box with an open top is constructed from a rectangular piece...
- calc - by cutting away identical squares from each corner of a rectangular piece...