Posted by RoseBud on Friday, April 27, 2012 at 10:31pm.
what will be the final temperature of a system in which 150.0g of water at 5.0 degrees C are added to 1.00L of water at 90.5 degrees C?
- chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, April 27, 2012 at 10:59pm
heat absorbed by cool water + heat lost by warm water = 0
[mass cool water x specific heat water x (Tfinal-Tinitial)] + [mass warm water x specific heat water x (Tfinal-Tinitial)] = 0
Solve for Tfinal.
- chemistry - RoseBud, Friday, April 27, 2012 at 11:24pm
150.0g x 4.184x(85.5)= 53659.80
1000ml x 4.184x 5 = 20920
74579.80 / 4.184=
I DON'T GET IT!
- chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, April 27, 2012 at 11:47pm
You didn't substitute correctly.
It should be
[150.0 x 4.183 x (Tf-5)] + [1000 x 4.184 x (Tf-90.5)] = 0 and you solve for Tf.
- chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, April 27, 2012 at 11:48pm
BTW, thanks for showing your work. That makes it easy to spot what's wrong.
- chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, April 27, 2012 at 11:55pm
You should get an answer that's about 79 C for Tfinal.
- chemistry - RoseBud, Saturday, April 28, 2012 at 10:55am
This makes sense. Thank you so much. This a great website. I don't just want someone to tell me the answer....I want to know how to figure it out. Thanks.
- chemistry ggand test - Anonymous, Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 10:46pm
Verve the vrbt
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - when 84 joules of heat are added to 2.0 grams of water at 15 ...
- Chemistry - A 230-gram sample of metal at 82 degrees centigrade is added to 632 ...
- Chemistry - 80.0 mL of water is initially at room temperature (22degrees C). A ...
- Chemistry - The temperature of 100.0 mL of water was raised from 26.7 degrees C ...
- Chem - A 53.31-g sample of water at 88.8 degrees C is added to a sample of water...
- Chemistry - A calorimeter contains 50.0 mL of water; both are at 21.2 degrees C...
- chemistry - How many ml of water at 10 degrees c must be added to 75 ml of water...
- Chemistry - Can someone check my answer for me... 1)Suppose a piece of lead with...
- chemistry - Can anyone help me with these Chemistry questions? I am trying to ...
- Science - 1. How much heat energy is lost by 3 kg of water when it cools from 80...