Posted by Chelsea:) on Thursday, April 26, 2012 at 3:02pm.
A package with square ends has combined length and girth(girth is perimeter of a cross section) of 120 in. The surface area of the entire package is 3600 sq. in.
Determine the dimensions of the package.
s in. * s in.* l in.
One solution is: 11.08in. * 11.08in. * 75.68in. Find the other solution
Hint: if 4s+length=120 then length=120-4S
Round your answer to 2 decimals. Enter the 3 dimensions separated by commas
algebra2 - Reiny, Thursday, April 26, 2012 at 3:59pm
looks like you defined s to be the measure of each of the sides of the end.
let the length be l
so girth = 4s + l = 120
total area = 2s^2 + 4 sl = 3600
s^2 + 2sl = 1800
s^2 + 2s(120-4s) - 1800 = 0
s^2 + 240s - 8s^2 - 1800=0
7s^2 - 240s +1800 = 0
by the formula
s = (240 ± √7200)/14
s = 11.08 or s = 23.20
if s=23.20 , then l = 120-4(23.20) = 27.18
23.20 , 23.20 , 27.18
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra 2 - A package with square ends has combined length and girth(girth is ...
- Pre-Calc - A rectangular package to be sent by a delivery service can have a ...
- Calculus - The post office ships a package using large package rates if the sum ...
- CALCULUS - 1. A rectangular package to be sent by a postal service can have a ...
- Calc - A rectangular package to be sent by a postal service can have a maximum ...
- Calculus - Optimization - The post office ships a package using large package ...
- Math - A postal service says that a rectangular package can have a maximum ...
- algebra - I really need help writing this out An overnight delivery service ...
- Math - Postal regulations specify that a parcel sent by priority mail may have a...
- Math - Postal regulations specify that a package sent by priority mail may have ...