Posted by Amber on Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 12:18am.
Two ice skaters hold hands and rotate, making one revolution in 7.6 s. Their masses are 15 kg and 50 kg, and they are separated by 4.6 m.
Find the angular momentum of the system about their center of mass.
Answer in units of J · s
Find the total kinetic energy of the system.
Answer in units of J
Physics. PLEASE HELP!! - Damon, Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 2:10am
These are pretty crazy measurements for human ice skaters but anyway
w = 2 pi/7.6 = .827 radians/second
find center of mass at x from big one
50 x = 69 - 15 x
65 x = 69
x = 1.06 m from big one and 3.54 from little one
I = 50(1.06)^2 + 15(3.54)^2
= 244 kg m^2
L = ang momentum = I w
= 244 (.827)
= 202 kg m^2/s
Physics. PLEASE HELP!! - Cesar, Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 12:20pm
since you already have all the numbers...
KE1 + KE2 = (.5*I1*W1^2) + (.5*I2*W2^2)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - Two ice skaters hold hands and rotate, making one revolution in 2.4 s...
- Physics. PLEASE HELP!! - Two ice skaters hold hands and rotate, making one ...
- physics - In the figure, two skaters, each of mass 58.0 kg, approach each other ...
- Physics - two skaters, each of mass 55 kg, approach each other along parallel ...
- mechanics - Two skaters, each of mass 70 kg, skate at speeds of 4 m/s in ...
- Physics - Angular Momentum - A 230 kg beam 2.4 m in length slides broadside down...
- Physics - Two identical ice skaters are holding onto opposite ends of a very ...
- CUC - 1.Two masses of 4gm and 6gm respectively are attached to the ends of a ...
- Physics - A device consists of eight balls each of mass 0.4 kg attached to the ...
- Physics - A local ice hockey team has asked you to design an apparatus for ...