Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at 6:05pm.
Three points on the edge of a circle are (-220, 220), (0, 0), and (200, 40), where each unit represents 1 foot. What is the diameter of the circle to the nearest 10 feet?
I know the answer is supposed to be 550 ft, but I keep coming up with the wrong answer. I found the midpoint of (-220, 220) and (0, 0) which is (-110, 110). Its perpendicular bisector is y = (1/2)x +165, if I did it correctly. I also found the midpoint of (0, 0) and (200, 40), which is (100, 20). I got y = -5x + 520 for its perpendicular bisect. Using those two equations, I found the intersect/center of the circle, (710/11, 2170/11). But when I use the distance formula with that point and (0, 0) to find the distance/radius, I get about 207.5, and the diameter about 415. What did I do wrong?
Math: Distance and Midpoint - Steve, Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at 6:25pm
Alas, things have gone awry.
The slope of the line from (-220,220) to (0,0) is -1. So, the slope of the perpendicular bisector (pb) is 1. The equation of the pb is thus
(y-110) = (x+110)
y = x + 220
The slope of the line from (0,0) to (200,40) is 40/200 = 1/5. The pb slope is thus -5. The pb equation is
(y-20) = -5(x-100)
y = -5x +520
The two pb's intersect at (50,270)
so, it looks like the circle is
(x-30)^2 + (y+30)^2 = 75400
sqrt(75400) = 274.59 or about 275
diameter would thus be 550.
Math: PS - Steve, Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at 6:26pm
Oops. The equation is
(x-50)^2 + (y+-270)^2 = 75400
other values were from a spurious incorrect solution.
Math: Distance and Midpoint - Anonymous, Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at 6:36pm
OH! It was the first pb that got me. Whoops, thank you so much!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- geometry - A CIRCLE HAS AN AREA OF 50 SGUARE FEET.WHAT IS THE APPROXIMATE ...
- math - landscape is designing a display of flowers for an area in a public park...
- math - A landscape is designing a display of flowers for an area in a public ...
- Geometry - There are three points at the rim of the circle: (-4,1) (-2,-3) (5,-2...
- Maths - 1. In the xy-coordinate plane, point A is the midpoint of the segment ...
- Math - 42is the diameter of a circle. Find the circumference of the circle to ...
- Geometry - A circle with center O has a radius of 4 feet. Points A and B are ...
- summer math hw - one circle has a diameter of 10 inches. a second circle has a ...
- Math - Find the area of the given circle.Round to the nearest tenth. The ...
- Geometry midpoint formula - A circle on the Coordinate plane has a diameter with...