Posted by John on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at 3:00am.
I have this mechanics problem. Please help me solve it.
Rory, Aurora and Raoul are three lions fi ghting over a piece of meat of mass 12
Each lion exerts a horizontal pull. Rory pulls with a force of 800 N.
Aurora, who is 120degrees to Rory's right, exerts a force of 400 N.
Raoul is 140 degrees to Rory's left.
The meat accelerates in Rory's direction.
(a) Find the force which Raoul is exerting.
Thank you in advance.
Mechanics problem - Newtons laws - resultant force - Jat, Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 5:10am
Let F-Raoul be the force exerted by Raoul.
Consider the direction perpendicular to Rory's direction,
There is no nett force in that direction as there is no movement along it.
F-Raoul Cos(40º) = 400 N * Cos(60º) ------> F-Raoul = 261 N
Nett force in Rory's direction = 800 N - 261 N * Sin(40º) - 400 N * Sin(60º).
You just apply F = m*a to find the acceleration.
Mechanics problem - Newtons laws - resultant force - smart guy, Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 2:36am
In the case of resolving the force perpendicular to Rory's direction, isnt it suppose to be F-Raoul cos(50º) = 400 cos(30º) ?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Steven bought a piece of meat and cut it into three pieces. The mass of ...
- mechanics - A particle of mass 10 kg is acted on by a resultant force, F newtons...
- physics - A mass of 8 kg lies on a horizontal, frictionless floor. A force of 72...
- physics - Two dogs pull horizontally on ropes attached to a post; the angle ...
- Calculus - Use newtons method and the function f(x)=x^2-a to derive the ...
- PLEASE HELP, physics/math - Three people are trying to hold a lion still for the...
- Physics Classical Mechanics - You are holding a ball of mass m2 in your hand. In...
- physics - At a picnic, there is a contest in which hoses are used to shoot water...
- conversion - how to convert 32.2 pounds mass to pounds force, to kilograms, and ...
- Resultant Force? - a force F1 of 35 newtons pulls at an angle of 15 degrees ...