Posted by TEE on Monday, April 23, 2012 at 9:11pm.
Hi, I'm totally lost with this assignment and don't know where to start at with this assignment. I know I'm in Group B will argue against the use of culture as a defense. Can someone please give me advice on how to do this assignment any help will be appreciate.
Culture in the Courtroom
As a culture, people in the U.S. hold a strong belief that their country is a melting pot, where many different groups blend in together. This assumption is shared by many, globally, as well. However, this analogy overlooks the reality that many different and independent subcultures exist in U.S. society. The melting pot analogy also minimizes the importance of cultural assimilation.
Return to the readings from your textbook for this unit (Chapter 2, “Culture”); the Leti Volpp article, “Cultural Defenses in the Criminal Legal System;” and Jeffrey Breinholt’s article, “Courtroom Jihad and the Defense of ‘I am a Muslim.’” Consider the following question:
Should cultural standards be used as a viable defense in the courtroom? Current examples of this sort of defense include fathers selling their daughters and the concept of honor killings.
Your instructor will divide you into two groups. Group A will argue for the use of cultural imperatives as a defense in the courtroom. Group B will argue against the use of culture as a defense. Note that this is not a group activity; each learner is expected to provide his or her individual post. Your response should be placed within the context of the concepts, ideas, or theories encountered in the readings this week. Be sure to frame your comments in a professional and scholarly manner.
In your discussion, you must reference the concepts covered specifically in this unit, to earn full credit. Examples of these concepts include, but are not limited to:
Beliefs and values.
Be sure to frame your comments in a professional and scholarly manner. Remember to take a sociological perspective and maintain a scientific tone in your comments.
- Sociology- Help Is Needed Please - Ms. Sue, Monday, April 23, 2012 at 9:30pm
This is the question you need to decide.
"Should cultural standards be used as a viable defense in the courtroom? Current examples of this sort of defense include fathers selling their daughters and the concept of honor killings. "
Since you're in group B, you need to argue that cultural standards should not be a valid defense. You'll need to present the case that the American values and laws take precedence. A court cannot tolerate acts that violate these laws.
Study the recommended readings. Be sure to address the concepts covered in this unit.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Sociology - I have to write an assignment on a situation similarly to a culture ...
- to writeacher - So do you mean that I should just fix my grammar and i have ...
- sociology 120 - I need help with today's assignment in intro to Sociology120. ...
- sociology - This assignment is confusing me, is there anyone that can lead me in...
- Healthcare - I have to do an assignment on Trends and Consumerism in Healthcare...
- Journal - How do I begin a Journal for a homework assignment on Subordinate ...
- social studies - hi hello i have 2 make my sst assignment on topics "...
- sociology - My assignment is about reading "Sociology as an individual pastime...
- Sociology - Supporters of multiculturalism argue that it helps us come to terms ...
- sociology - Culture at Wal-Mart on pg. 68. Western companies often impose ...