Posted by Tabby on Monday, April 23, 2012 at 8:23pm.
a force F1 of 35 newtons pulls at an angle of 15 degrees notrth of due east. A force F2 of 75 newtons pulls at an angle of 55 degrees west of due south. Find the magntiude and direction of the resultant force.
Please help me - I have no idea what to do or even where to start!
- Resultant Force? - Damon, Monday, April 23, 2012 at 8:50pm
probably easier for you to do this on x, y axis system
First find x and y components of first force (15deg above x axis)
F1x = 35 cos 15
F1y = 35 sin 15
now the second force(90-55) = 35 below -x axis)
F2x = -75 cos 35
F2y = -75 sin 35
now add components
Fx = 35 cos 15 -75 cos 35 = -27.6
Fy = 35 sin 15 -75 sin 35 = -34.0
F^2 = Fx^2+Fy^2
so F = 43.7 in magnitude
tan theta = Fy/Fx = -43/-27.6
in quadrant 3 because both are negative
so theta = 57.3 deg below -x axis
or 57.3 deg south of west
or 90-57.3 = 32.7 deg west of south
- Resultant Force? - Help Please?, Monday, April 23, 2012 at 8:57pm
Ah, thank you so much! You're a lifesaver! Thank you and God bless you for taking the time to help!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Advanced Math. - Write an equation in slope-intercept form of the line whose ...
- Physical Science - two people pull on separate ropes attached to a cart. the ...
- Physics - A 325 kg boat is sailing 15.0 degrees north of east at a speed of 2.00...
- College Physics - A sled at rest is suddenly pulled in three horizontal ...
- college physics - two forces act simultaneously on a box. one pulls with a force...
- math - Kim and Kent are on opposite sides of a canal, pulling a barge with tow ...
- Physics - A 343-kg boat is sailing 16.2° north of east at a speed of 1.98 m/s. ...
- jonnathan - force of 125 N pulls due west on a body, and a second force pulls N...
- physics - Two forces are applied to a tree stump to pull it out of the ground. ...
- MATH116 - Two forces of magnitudes 60 Newtons and 80 Newtons make an angle of 30...