Posted by Anonymous on Monday, April 23, 2012 at 1:09pm.
a pole leans away from the sun at an angle of 7 degrees to the vertical. when the elivation of the sun is 48 degrees the pole cast a shadow of 41ft long on level ground. how long is the pole?
- math - Damon, Monday, April 23, 2012 at 1:33pm
a is vertically under pole, base to tip
41 - a is shadow tip from under pole tip
height of pole = y cos 7 = .993 y
tan 48 = .993 y/(41-a)
tan 7 = a/y so a = y tan 7
tan 48 = .993 y/(41 -y tan 7) solve for y
- math - V, Wednesday, March 20, 2013 at 10:46pm
Draw a big diagram
You end up with a triangle with:
the horizontal side = 47 ft
the side representing the leaning pole ... call it a
and the angle opposite the pole side = 51°
The pole makes an angle of 7° with the vertical ... so the angle between to pole side and the 47ft side = 90 - 7 = 83°
So that make the angle opposite the 47 ft side = 180 - (51 + 83) = 46°
Now you can use the sine rule to find the length of the pole:
a/sin51° = 47/sin46
a = 47 * sin51 / sin46
a = 50.8 ft
so the length of the pole is 50.8 ft
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Trigonometry - A pole leans away from the sun at an angle of 7° to the vertical...
- Pre-Calculus-Trig - A pole tilts 12 degrees from the vertical, away from the sun...
- Trigo - A vertical pole is standing on a slope that is inclined at an angle 8 ...
- trig - This a problem I need help with. A vertical ple stands by a road that is ...
- calculus - A pole at a right angle to the horizontal is located on a slope that ...
- Trigonometry - the leaning tower of pisa is 179 ft tall. it leans at an angle of...
- calculus - A straight road makes an angle, A of 12 degrees. When the angle of ...
- Trig - A straight road slopes upward 14 degrees from the horizontal. A vertical ...
- math - A 20 feet vertical pole cast a shadow of 32 feet. What is the angle of ...
- Pre-Calculus-Trig - A straight road slopes at an angle of 10 degrees with the ...