Posted by Amber on Monday, April 23, 2012 at 12:38pm.
Two ice skaters hold hands and rotate, making one revolution in 7.6 s. Their masses are 15 kg and 50 kg, and they are separated by 4.6 m.
Find the angular momentum of the system
about their center of mass.
Answer in units of J · s
Find the total kinetic energy of the system.
Answer in units of J
Physics. PLEASE HELP!! - Elena, Monday, April 23, 2012 at 4:07pm
Distance between the skaters is d, frequency is n =1/7.6 s^-1
Location of the center of mass
of the second skater of mass m2 is
x1 = d •m2/(m1+m2),
x2 = d - x1,
Moment of inertia of the system is
I= I1 +I2 =
= m1•x1^2 + m2•x2^2.
Angular momentum is
L = I•ω= I•2•π•n.
KE = I• ω^2/2 = I•(2•π•n)^2/2.
Check your given data. It seems to me that the distance 4.6 m is too much if the “skaters hold hands”. Moreover, the mass m1 = 15 kg is improbable for skater (this is the mass of the child of three).
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - Two ice skaters hold hands and rotate, making one revolution in 2.4 s...
- Physics. PLEASE HELP!! - Two ice skaters hold hands and rotate, making one ...
- physics - In the figure, two skaters, each of mass 58.0 kg, approach each other ...
- Physics - two skaters, each of mass 55 kg, approach each other along parallel ...
- mechanics - Two skaters, each of mass 70 kg, skate at speeds of 4 m/s in ...
- Physics - Angular Momentum - A 230 kg beam 2.4 m in length slides broadside down...
- Physics - Two identical ice skaters are holding onto opposite ends of a very ...
- CUC - 1.Two masses of 4gm and 6gm respectively are attached to the ends of a ...
- Physics - A device consists of eight balls each of mass 0.4 kg attached to the ...
- Physics - A local ice hockey team has asked you to design an apparatus for ...