Posted by Mike1 on Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 8:04pm.
Is there a difference among the following sentences, Writeacher? Thank you.
I included a few other sentences.
He made breakfast himself.
He made breakfast by himself.
He made breakfast on his own.
He made himself breakfast.
1) You shouldn't fuss (not make a fuss) about a common cold.
You oughn't (or ought not) fuss about it.
2) He broke his arm when he was thrown out of his boat/when he fell off his raft (both possible?).
3) He excused himself (to me) for breaking the vase (because he broke the vase is a mistake?).
4) Mary invited me to her house (to her is a mistake?).
5) They are content about their exam result.
6) They are happy with (is a mistake?) exam result
7) If I were you, I would worry (I would be worried is possible?) about a common cold.
English - Writeacher, Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 9:34pm
The first four sentences are all saying about the same thing -- slightly different phrasing, but the same meaning.
1. I'd use "worry" rather than "fuss" in this context.
3. Don't include "to me" -- the rest is fine, including the alternative phrasing.
4. Use "to her house" -- don't omit "house"!
5, 6, and 7 -- all are OK.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Writeacher, Can you please check these sentences. I urgently need to ...
- English - I left out a very last sentence. Thank you very much! 1)Do you always...
- english - i am learning english at the moment Six hundred years ago, Sir John ...
- English-Ms. Sue - Identify the misplaced or dangling phrase in the following ...
- Algebra - You had some cookies and milk for breakfast this morning. The total ...
- Math - In the cafeteria 100 milk cartons were put out for breakfast.at the end ...
- math 5 - In the cafeteria,100 milk cartons were put out for breakfast. At the ...
- statistics help please - The proportion of Canadians who eat breakfast regularly...
- English - I have a few more doubts. Thank you. 1) I keep fit by doing exercise ...
- Combinatorics - Bernie's Breakfast Buffet has a wide selection of breakfast food...