Posted by Akbar on Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 8:01pm.
A tire with an inner volume of 0.0250 m3 is filled with air at a gauge pressure of 30.3 psi. If the tire valve is opened to the atmosphere, what volume outside of the tire does the escaping air occupy? Some air remains within the tire occupying the original volume, but now that remaining air is at atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi). Assume the temperature of the air does not change.
I keep getting .0316m^3 but its wrong I don't know how to do this could someone help please. Thank you.
- physics - bobpursley, Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 8:41pm
put them in, and solve for EscapedV
- physics - Damon, Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 8:46pm
original pressure = 14.7 + 30.3 = 45 psi
p v = constant
45 * .0250 = 14.7 v
v = .0765
.0765 - .0250 = .0500 m^3
- physics - Damon, Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 8:47pm
I suspect you used the "gage" pressure. No, bad.
- physics - Anonymous, Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 9:56pm
Thank you both of you but both the methods I tried atill am getting it wrong :/...Damon I tried .0500m^3 and that was wrong and Bobpursley I tried your method i got 3.06 m^3 and still thats wrong too I don;t know why. Could someone please help me. Thank you!
- physics - Akbar, Monday, April 23, 2012 at 2:06pm
Thank you Damon and Bobpursley. I really appreciate it.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - driving on a hot day causes tire pressure to rise. what is the ...
- chem 1p1 - An automobile tire at 22oC with an internal volume of 20.0L is filled...
- math - On Saturday, Alberto filled his right rear tire with air at the gas ...
- Physics - An automobile tire contains a certain volume of air at 30 psig and 70...
- Physics - An automobile tire is inflated with air originally at 10.0°C and ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the mass of air in an air-filled tire and the mass of ...
- Chemistry - An automobile tire has a maximum rating of 38.0 psi (gauge pressure...
- chemistry - How many moles of gas must be forced into a 5.0 L tire to give it a ...
- Chemistry - How many moles of gas must be forced into a 4.4 L tire to give it a ...
- Chemistry - How many moles of gas must be forced into a 5.2 L tire to give it a ...