Posted by ####Nadine#### on Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 6:46pm.
When violet light of wavelength 415 nm falls on a single slit, it creates a central diffraction peak that is 8.80 cm wide on a screen that is 2.75 m away. How wide is the slit?
Physics - bobpursley, Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 6:59pm
Is there something wrong with this? http://www.jiskha.com/display.cgi?id=1335108759 The part poorly defined is the "peak that is ...wide". The formula I gave you is the distance to the first minimum.
Some folks use the "width " of the peak to not the first minimum, but to the point where the peak has went down to the .707 RMS value.
Physics - Damon, Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 7:06pm
I skipped over this question because I was not sure what was meant by width of the stripe. I think first minimum is most common.
Physics - Elena, Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 7:10pm
The width of the central peak (max) is the distance between the first minima.
The equation for diffraction minima is
b•sinφ = k•λ.
b = λ/sinφ.
From the geometry of diffraction pattern
where x1 =8.8/2 = 4.4 cm =0.044 m is the distance between the center of diffraction pattern and the first min,
and L =2.75 m.
tan φ = 0.044/2.75=0.016.
sin φ = tan φ=0.016.
b = λ/sinφ = 415•10^-9/0.016 =
=2.59•10^-5 m =25.9 micrometers.
Physics - ####Nadine####, Monday, April 23, 2012 at 6:19am
Thank you so much Elena! I forgot to divide 8.8 by two and, of course, kept getting double the answer which I knew was incorrect.
Physics - John, Tuesday, November 19, 2013 at 8:34pm
Anyone else from SF have to google this question, or was i the only one?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - When violet light of wavelength 415 nm falls on a single slit, it ...
- Physics - 2) A single slit diffraction pattern is created using light of ...
- Physics - In a single-slit diffraction pattern on a flat screen, the central ...
- physics - A flat screen is located 0.43 m away from a single slit. Light with a ...
- Physics - Light of a red laser (wavelength λ=650 nm) goes through a narrow ...
- Physics - A light beam ( 557.1 nm) illustrates a single slit 0.85mm wide. (a) ...
- physics - single-slit diffraction pattern is formed when light of 680.0 nm is ...
- physics.... - 1) Yellow light is incident on a single-slit 0.0315 mm wide. On a ...
- Physics - Okay last question I need help with Monochromatic light of 605 nm ...
- Physics - Light of wavelength 550 nm strikes a single slit of width 1.00 x 10-5 ...