Posted by anisah on Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 3:45am.
a steel ball weighing 128 lb is suspended from a spring, whereupon the spring is stretched 2 ft from its natural length. the ball is started in motion with no initial velocity by displacing it 6 in above the equilibrium position. assuming no damping force, find an expression for
a)the position of the ball at any time.
b)the position of the bal at t=pai/12 sec
c)the circular frequency, natural frequency and period for this system
- math - Damon, Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 5:30am
k = 64 lb/ft for spring
position above equilirium = x
at t = 0 x = .5 ft
x = .5 cos 2 pi t/T
we need to find T, the period
f = -kx = m a
but a = .5 (2 pi/T)^2(-cos2 pi/T) =-(2pi/T)^2 x
-k x = -(2 pi/T)^2 x
2 pi/T = sqrt(k/m)
m = 128/32 = 4
2 pi/T = sqrt (64/4) = 4
x = .5 cos 4 t
at t = pi/12
x = .5 cos pi/3 = .5 cos 60deg = .25
w = 2 pi f = 2 pi/T = 4 radians/sec
f = w/2pi = 2/pi
T = pi/2
- actually ancient physics - Damon, Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 5:32am
The question is really a physics question but uses old English units of feet which means to get mass (in slugs) you must divide pounds by g which is about 32 ft/s^2.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- computer network engineering - a steel ball weighing 128 lb is suspended from a ...
- physics - A ball of mass 540 g hangs from a spring whose stiffness is 155 ...
- College Physics - A ball of mass 620 g hangs from a spring whose stiffness is ...
- Physics! - A spring with a spring constant of 224.3 N/m is compressed by 0.253 m...
- Physics - A spring with a spring constant of 223.9 N/m is compressed by 0.220 m...
- physics - The spring in the muzzle of a child's spring gun has a spring constant...
- math - A spring with a mass of 4 kg has damping constant 28, and a force of 12 N...
- Physics - Re-post - A .20 kg ball is attached to a vertical spring. The spring ...
- PHYSICS - a 0.1 kg mass is suspended at rest from a spring near the Earth's ...
- physics - a 0.1 kg mass is suspended at rest from a spring near the Earth's ...