Posted by anisah on Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 3:44am.
a steel ball weighing 128 lb is suspended from a spring, whereupon the spring is stretched 2 ft from its natural length. the ball is started in motion with no initial velocity by displacing it 6 in above the equilibrium position. assuming no damping force, find an expression for
a)the position of the ball at any time.
b)the position of the bal at t=pai/12 sec
c)the circular frequency, natural frequency and period for this system
- differential equations - MathMate, Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 9:41am
This is a "spring-mass" mass problem.
g=32.2 ft/sec² (accel. due to gravity)
Let y=displacement (downwards) in the same direction as g, then the differential equation that governs the motion is:
acceleration = -ky, or
y"+ky=0 where y"=d²y/dt²
The solution of the auxiliary equation is
(m^2+k)=0, or m=±i√k
and the solution to the equation is
y=C1 cos(√k t) + C2 sin(√k t)
The initial conditions are:
y(0)=-0.5=C1 cos(0) + C2 sin(0)
C2=0, and C1=-0.5
y'(t)=-C2√k sin(√k t) + C2 √k cos(√k t)
y'(0)=0=-C2√k sin(0) + C2 √k cos(0)
C2=0 since sin(0)=0, √k≠0 and cos(0)≠0.
So the equation of motion is:
Answers to (b) and (c) can be deduced from the equation of motion.
Answer this Question
- math - a steel ball weighing 128 lb is suspended from a spring, whereupon the ...
- physics - A ball of mass 540 g hangs from a spring whose stiffness is 155 ...
- College Physics - A ball of mass 620 g hangs from a spring whose stiffness is ...
- Physics! - A spring with a spring constant of 224.3 N/m is compressed by 0.253 m...
- Physics - A spring with a spring constant of 223.9 N/m is compressed by 0.220 m...
- physics - The spring in the muzzle of a child's spring gun has a spring constant...
- Physics - Re-post - A .20 kg ball is attached to a vertical spring. The spring ...
- PHYSICS - a 0.1 kg mass is suspended at rest from a spring near the Earth's ...
- physics - a 0.1 kg mass is suspended at rest from a spring near the Earth's ...
- physics - If a 0.1 kg mass is suspended at rest from a spring near the Earth's ...