Posted by Jen on Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 5:18pm.
Seek power series solution of the given differential equation about the given point x0; find the recurrence relation.
(1-x)y'' + y = 0; x0 = 0
- math - MathMate, Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 9:16pm
I'll give it a try.
(1-x)y"+y=0 at x0=0
A. Check for singular points.
Write as y"+(1/1-x)y=0
and find Lim x->0 (1/1-x) = 1
Therefore x0=0 is not a singular point.
B. Assume y=∑an x^n for n=0 to ∞
(1-x)y"=∑n=0 to ∞ (n)(n-1)an x^(n-2)
=∑n=2 to ∞ (n)(n-1)an x^(n-2) -∑n=1 to ∞ (n)(n-1)an x^(n-1)
Now switch indices
=∑n=0 to ∞ (n+2)(n+1)an+2 x^(n) -∑n=0 to ∞ (n+1)(n)an+1 x^(n)
Add to y gives
∑n=0 to ∞ (n+2)(n+1)an+2 x^(n) -∑n=0 to ∞ (n+1)(n)an+1 x^(n)+∑ n=0 to ∞ an x^n =0
an+1 = [(n)(n+1)an+1 - an]/[(n+2)(n+1)]
The coefficients an are dependent on values of a0 and a1, which are arbitrary constants depending on the given initial conditions.
Check my arithmetic.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Differential Equation 3 - (x^2+1) y^''+2xy^'=0 Solve for two power series ...
- math - A sequence is generated by the recurrence relation Ur+1 = 1/Ur -3. Given ...
- I would like to understand my calc homework:/ - Consider the differential ...
- Differential equation - find the solution of power series (2x^2-X^3)y''+(7x-6x^2...
- calculus-differential equation - Consider the differential equation: (du/dt)=-u^...
- Math - For the harmonic potential V(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 a) Find the total ...
- Calculus - Which of the following is a separable, first-order differential ...
- college differential equations - Find two linearly independent power series ...
- Differential Equation - Find the general solution of t^2y"-3ty'+4y=0 on (0, ...
- Calculus - Find a general solution to each first ĘC degree ordinary differential...