Posted by vera on Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 5:13pm.
A newspaper article stated that college students at a local university spent an average of $95 on beer a year. A student investigator who believed the average stated was too high polled a random sample of 50 students and found a mean of $92.25 and s = 10 Use these results to test at the .05 level of significance the statement made by the newspaper.
- Statistics - MathGuru, Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 7:28pm
Use a one-sample z-test.
Ho: µ = 95 -->null hypothesis
Ha: µ < 95 -->alternate hypothesis
z = (sample mean - population mean)/(standard deviation divided by the square root of the sample size)
With your data:
z = (92.25 - 95)/(10/√50) = ?
Finish the calculation.
Check a z-table at .05 level of significance for a one-tailed test.
If the z-test statistic exceeds the critical value from the z-table, reject the null. If the z-test statistic does not exceed the critical value from the z-table, do not reject the null. If you reject the null, the conclusion will be µ < 95.
I hope this will help get you started.
- Statistics - stylists, Monday, April 23, 2012 at 8:30pm
Need step by step format can't figure out, need an example:
two samples of data regarding salary of Co A and Co B determine if you can be 99% sure that Co?
A makes more than Co B? Company A - Mean 55,000, Std Dev 5,000, Sample Size 200; Co B mean 52,000, Std Dev 3,000 Sample size 400 please show steps thanks
- Statistics - patricia, Saturday, April 28, 2012 at 9:57pm
two hundred math 115 students kept trak of the number of hours of homework they did during the fall 94 semester. the results are found to closely approximate a normal distribution with mean 14 hours and standard deviation 2 hours. determine the fraction of the students who studied more than 16 hours
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- statistics - You asked ten of your classmates about their weight. On the basis ...
- Stat - Suppose that a principal of a local high school tracks the number of ...
- Statistical work - Suppose that a principal of a local high school tracks the ...
- stat - ** I already finish these questions Can you answer so I can compare my ...
- Stat - Does anyone know how to solve for this Suppose that a principal of a ...
- statistics - 1. The on-campus housing costs for a semester at a state university...
- statistics - 1. A researcher is interested in whether students who attend ...
- statistics - A sample of 400 high school students showed that they spend an ...
- statistics - In a recent survey, it was stated that Malaysians watch videos on ...
- Statistics - The average SAT score for the 300 students accepted at Tiny College...