Posted by CHRIS on Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 12:03pm.
A reaction will be nonspontaneous under all conditions when
a. delta G is negative
b. delta H is negative and DS is positive
c. delta H is positive and DS is negative
d. delta H is positive independent of the value and sign of DS
e. delta S is positive independent of the value and sign of DH
- chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 3:40pm
dG = dH - TdS.
Go through each answer and see if it fits; for example, #1 can't be right because when dG is - the reaction is spontaneous.
If dH is - and dS is +, then the term TdS is - so dG is always - when this is true and the rxn is spontaneous. So scratch 2.
- chemistry - CHRIS, Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 6:15pm
- chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 7:26pm
e is not it.
dG = dH - TdS.
If dS is + then the term -TdS will be negative but some dH values (even though they are + values) still can give a - dG value and the reaction will be spontaneous.
- chemistry - CHRIS, Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 12:59pm
so d then
- chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 2:04pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry(Please check answers) - 1) For a reaction delta Go is more negative ...
- chemistry - For a particular reaction delta G is more negative than delta H. ...
- Chemistry - I know I posted this question before, but can you clarify it?? MY ...
- CHEMISTRY - I know I posted this question before, but can you clarify it?? MY ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the DELTA H(rxn), DELTA S(rxn), DELTA S(universe), DELTA G...
- Chemistry - Is the following reaction spontaneous at 25*C? delta s reaction = -...
- Chemistry - For the solvation of borax in water, would delta Ssys increase or ...
- Chemistry - If the sign for delta G is negative (spontaneous process) and sign ...
- Chemistry - For the reaction described by the chemical equation: 3C2H2(g) -> ...
- Chemistry - I would really like to understand how to do these problems, because ...