Posted by ree on Friday, April 20, 2012 at 8:34pm.
True or False: Americans tend to look at others above the neck or below the knees. Looking at other parts of a person’s body is considered impolite, while looking at anyone for more than three to five seconds can be interpreted as staring.
Interpersonal Communication - Ms. Sue, Friday, April 20, 2012 at 8:37pm
What do you think?
Interpersonal Communication - ree, Friday, April 20, 2012 at 8:42pm
Interpersonal Communication - Ms. Sue, Friday, April 20, 2012 at 8:44pm
It's true for the people I see. However, you may see people staring at people's torsos.
Interpersonal Communication - Ms. Sue, Friday, April 20, 2012 at 8:56pm
Actually, this is a very poor question. I suggest you complain to your teacher about this.
If we're talking with someone, we're expected to look them in the eyes.
Interpersonal Communication - PsyDAG, Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 1:30pm
I agree with Ms. Sue on the quality of the question. The situation is much more complex than the question implies.
Our eyes are attracted to motion, so it makes a difference if the person is still or moving. Rarely do people look below the knees, unless there is movement there.
If eye contact is made, an acknowledgement is typically made ("hello," nod of the head, smile, and/or eyebrow flash [raising both eyebrows]). If the look is continued without one or more of these, it is typically perceived as a hostile move, attempting dominance. The first person to drop their eyes indicates submission.
It also depends on the gender of the looker and the one being seen. As a man, I tend to look a good-looking woman up and down. She may not even be aware that I am looking at her.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- communication - 6. Americans tend to look at others above the neck or below the ...
- HEALTH HELP PLEASE!! - Fats help maintain your cell membranes. (1 point) True ...
- History - Roosevelt launched the second New Deal because of the failure of his ...
- Com200 Interpersonal Communication - Self-concept is changed through ...
- helath help - 11. Fats help maintain your cell membranes. (1 point)True False 12...
- Interpersonal communication - Before communicating, the sender must encode the ...
- health - if i put a .... that's what ithink the answer is may u checkitin tell ...
- 7th grade health Ms. Sue please thanks - True/False Indicate whether the ...
- Interpersonal communication - In interpersonal communication, when two people ...
- Interpersonal Communication - what can be an example of interpersonal ...