Posted by John on Friday, April 20, 2012 at 4:04pm.
A cube of ice is taken from the freezer at -8.8°C and placed in a 103 g aluminum calorimeter filled with 321 g of water at room temperature of 20°C. The final situation is observed to be all water at 15°C. What was the mass of the ice cube?
Could someone please help me get a setup to solve for this problem with indicating what is what please. Thank you.
Physics - Elena, Friday, April 20, 2012 at 4:55pm
m2 = 0.321 kg,
m3 = 0.103 kg,
c1 = 2060 J/kg•degr is heat capacity of ice,
c2 = 4180 J/kg•degr is heat capacity of water,
c3 = 930 J/kg•degr is heat capacity of Al,
r =335000 the heat of fusion (ice-water),
Δt1 = 8.8 degr, Δt2 = 15 degr, Δt3 = 5 degr.
m1• c1• Δt1 + r• m1 + m1• c2• Δt2 = c2• m2•Δt3 +c3• m3• Δt3,
m1 = Δt3•( c2• m2 +c3• m3 )/( c1• Δt1 + r + c2• Δt2)
Physics - John, Friday, April 20, 2012 at 7:34pm
Thanks Elena your a life saver :)
Physics - Wendi, Monday, April 18, 2016 at 12:55pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- phy - A cube of ice is taken from the freezer at -7.5°C and placed in a 101 g ...
- college physics - A cube of ice is taken from the freezer at -9.5 degree Celsius...
- Physics - A cube of ice is taken from the freezer at -8.5 degrees celsius and ...
- Physics - 1). A hot iron horseshoe (mass=.40kg), just forged, is dropped into 1....
- physics - A cube of ice is take from the freezer at -8.5C and placed in a 95g ...
- chemistry - Suppose you add a small ice cube to room temperature water in a ...
- physics - A 50g ice cube is added to 110g of water in a 62g aluminum cup. The ...
- physics - A 40-g block of ice is cooled to −71°C and is then added to 590...
- physics - A 40-g block of ice is cooled to −71°C and is then added to 590 ...
- Physics - a): Two 50 g ice cubes are dropped into 200 g of water in a thermally...