Posted by emilia on Sunday, April 15, 2012 at 12:18pm.
a toy rocket moving vertically upward passes by a 2.2m- high window whose sill is 7.0m above the ground. the rocket takes 0.17s to travel the 2.2m height of the wondow
part a): what was the launch speed of the rocket ? assume the propellant is burned very quickly at blastoff
part b) how high will the rocket go ?
- intro to physics - Elena, Sunday, April 15, 2012 at 1:25pm
Let’s find the initial velocity of rocket.
h(o) = v(o)•t - g•t^2/2,
v(o) = 2• h(o) /t +gt/2 = 22.2/0.17 + 9.8•0.17/2 = 25.047 m/s.
Now let’s find the time of reaching the max height
0 = v(o) - g•t1
t1 = v(o)/g = 25.047/9.8 = 2.56 s.
The max height (from the sill)
h1 = v(o)•t1-gt1^2/2 = 25.047•2.56 =9.8•(2.56)^2/2 = 96.13 m.
The max height (from the ground) is
H = 96.13 + 7 = 103.13 m.
H = gt2^2/2 .
t2= sqrt(2•H/g) = sqrt(2•103.13/9.8) = 4.59 s.
v =g•t2 = 9.8•4.59 = 44.96 m/s
- intro to physics - anonymous, Monday, April 16, 2012 at 1:26am
where did that 22.2 come from?
- intro to physics - Elena, Monday, April 16, 2012 at 2:21am
v(o) = 2• h(o) /t +gt/2 = 2.2/0.17 + 9.8•0.17/2 = 25.047 m/s.
- intro to physics - drwls, Monday, April 16, 2012 at 6:17am
22.2 was a typo error of 2*2.2, but the result was ok.
- intro to physics - Anonymous, Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 9:13pm
thats wrong, no 2* h(o)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- @ elena - intro to physics - I posted this question earlier and thank you for ...
- physics- help please !!1 - A toy rocket moving vertically upward passes by a 2....
- physics - The engine of a toy rocket supplies an average acceleration of 38.0 m/...
- math - a model rocket is projected straight upward from the ground level. It is ...
- algebra Please help - .A toy rocket is shot vertically into the air from a ...
- Physics - A toy rocket is launched upwards from rest. The rocket engine will ...
- MATH - A toy rocket is launched vertically upward from ground level. This is ...
- Physics - A test rocket is launched vertically from ground level (y=0m), at time...
- Physics - A small rocket is fired in a test range. It rises high into the air ...
- physics - A stationary rocket is launched vertically upward. After 4s, the ...