Posted by Jake on Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 7:56pm.
Use the algorithm for curve sketching to sketch the graph of each function.
a) f(x) 4x^3+6x^2-24x-2
1. First to find intercepts
I don't know how to find the x-intercept. I can't use quadratic formula or synthetic division :S
- Calculus - Reiny, Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 8:27pm
ok, so you would have to solve
4x^3 + 6x^2 - 24x - 2 = 0
I also could not find any "nice" f(x) = 0
(I tried x = ±2, ±1/2)
so I went to the reliable Wolfram to get
notice that all 3 roots appear to be irrational
making it a messy solution.
- Calculus - Jake, Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 9:15pm
I checked in the book answer and the site u gave me matched with the answer.
How did the website get solutions as:
- Calculus - Reiny, Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 9:36pm
There is no simple formula to solve a general cubic equation.
There are several methods that can be used to find solutions ...
- Newton's Method and some type of iteration algorithms are the most popular
once you have one of the roots of the cubic, you can do long division or use synthetic division to reduce the cubic to a quadratic.
From there you can use the quadratic formula to find the other two roots
I don't know what method the Wolfram site uses.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - Let y=3(x-4)^2 -3 a) Show that y=3x^2 -24x +45 b) For the graph of y find...
- algebra - Did I do this problem the correct way if so is there a shorter way to ...
- calculus - Suppose f(x) is the function 2x^3+ 12x^2+ 21x + 3. Find the smallest ...
- algebra - 24x^4-12x^3+48x^2/-4x 24x^4-12x^3+12(-1) 24x^4-12x^3+(-12x) 2x^4-12x^3...
- alg2 check? - solve 3(8x-2)=46-2(12x+1) 24x-6=46-24x+2 24x-6=48-24x 48x-6=48 48x...
- calculus I - Overview of curve sketching: Determine all significant features, ...
- calculus - i need to find the derivative using chain rule: (x^2 + 2x - 6)^2 (1-x...
- Math - For the graph y find both x-intercepts by solving the equation 3x^2 - 24x...
- calculus - I am trying to find equation of the tangent line to the curve 2/(1-3x...
- Calculus - Find the area between the curves y=(x^3)-10(x^2)+24x and y=(-x^3)+10...