Posted by Julie on Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 12:35am.
solve for (<_ = less than or equal to / pie = pie sign / -pie = negative pie)
3 sin²x = cos²x ; 0 <_ x < 2pie
cos²x - sin²x = sinx ; -pie < x <_ pie
- Calculus grade 12 - Reiny, Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 7:37am
3 sin²x = cos²x ; 0 ≤ x < 2π
sin²x /cos²x = 1/3
tan^2 x = 1/3
tanx = ± 1/√3
set your calculator to radians ....
x = .5236
x = π - .5236 = 2.61799
x = π + .5236 = 2.61799
x = 2π- .5236 = 5.7596
cos^2 x - sin^2 x = sinx
1 - sin^2 x - sin^2 x - sinx = 0
2sin^2 x + sinx - 1 = 0
(2sinx -1)(sinx + 1) = 0
sinx = 1/2 or sinx = -1
if sinx = 1/2
x = π/6, or x = 5π/6
if sinx = -1
then x = =π/2 or 3π/2 ,but -π < x ≤ π
so x = -π/2
x = -π/2 , π/6 , 5π/5
- Calculus grade 12 - Julie, Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 11:23am
Thank you Reiny! The first question (1st one) your calculations for the 2nd x is wrong. x = x = π + .5236 = 3.665192654 and not 2.61799
- Calculus grade 12 - Reiny, Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 1:06pm
yup, clearly a typo, since the first part of it is correct
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - The motion of a particle is described by x = 10 sin (piet +pie/2 ). At...
- Calculus - If water is poured into a cup at a rate of 1 cubic centimeter per ...
- math - evaluate the expressions below and leave them in radical form. 1. sin(pie...
- Calculus - PLZ show work, find the rieman sum of 6 intervals of sinx from (0,...
- Geometry - One can of pumpkin pie mix will make a pie of diameter 8 in. If two ...
- Math (College Level Mathematics) - Fourier cosine series correspondence for f(x...
- Math - Mom served apple pie. John ate 1/2 of the pie. Thomas ate 1/4 of the pie...
- math - Mrs.penn has a circular tablecloth with a circumference of 29 feet. Which...
- calculus - Hi i have two questions: what is the exact value of cos 5(pie)/12? ...
- gr 12. advanced functions - Trig identity Prove: cos2x tan(pie/4 - x...