Posted by Jane on Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 10:27pm.
Which of the following equations represents the equation for the line that is parallel to the given line and passes through the given point?
y= 1/5 x - 10; (15, -16)
A. y = -5x +19
B. y = 1/5x + 91/5
C. y = 1/5 x - 19
D. y = 5x - 19
I do know that to be parallel the slopes need to be the same. Please explain how you solve this.
- math - Reiny, Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 10:40pm
Since the slope must be the same, it limits it to
choices B or C, since both have 1/5 as the slope
so plug in the given point to see which one satisfies the equation
- math - Jane, Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 10:53pm
Reiny, I'm not sure how to do that.
- math - Reiny, Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 11:05pm
try it in B
y = 1/5 x + 91/5
plug in (15,-16)
-16 = (1/5)(15) + 91/5
-16 = 3 + 91/5 , which is not true,
so it better be C
y = 1/5 x - 19
-16 = (1/5)(15) - 19
-16 = 3-19
-16 = -16 , ahhh that's true, so it must be C
- math - Jane, Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 11:12pm
Thank you so much for explaining it in detail. I really appreciate it.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Pre- Algebra - Given an equation of a line, how do I find equations for lines ...
- Algebra 1 - Write an equation in slope-intercept form for a line that passes ...
- math - I need help with "write in equation in slope-intercept form for the line ...
- Algebra - 1.Tell whether the sequence is arithmetic. If it is, what is the ...
- Algebra 1 - Algebra 1 help please :( Use the point-slope from linear equation ...
- Algebra - 1.Write an equation in slope- intercept form of the line that passes ...
- Algebra 1 - Tell whether the lines for the pair of equations are parallel, ...
- Calculus - Write an equation of the line that passes through the point (i) ...
- Math - How are you supposed to write an equation for the line that is parallel ...
- Math - please help - Write an equation for the line that is parallel to the ...