Posted by Lance on Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 7:03pm.
The triation of 50.00 mL of 0.025 00 M MES with 0.100 0 M NaOH. MES is a weak acid with pKa=6.27. Compute Ve, first. Show what happens at the four stages of the titration: Va = 0,2,5,10,10.1,11,12, and 12.2 mL.
I NEED HELP!!!!
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 9:26pm
Can you calculate volume to get to the equivalence point? Do that first.
a. First stage: at the beginning.
.........HA ==> H^+ + A^-
Substitute into the Ka expression and solve for x, then convert to pH.
b. At the equivalence point you have the salt. The hydrolysis of the salt:
You will need to determine the concn of the salt. That will be (50*0.025/50+Ve)= ?
.........A^- + HOH ===> HA + OH^-
Kb for A^- = (Kw/Ka for MES) = (HA)(OH^-)/(A^-)
Substitute from the ICE chart and solve for x = (OH^-), then convert to pH.
c. Everything between beginning and the equivalence point.
mols MES = M x L
mols NaOH = M x L
Subtract which will leave an excess of MES PLUS the salt formed. I would use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation which is pH = pKa + lopg (salt/acid)
d. Everything after the equivalence point.
mols EXCESS NaOH/total volume. This will be OH^-, convert to pOH, then to pH.
Post your work if you get stuck.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Biochemistry - 1. MES (2-(N-Morpholino)ethanesulfonic acid) is a common buffer ...
- Chemistry - Part A: Unknown Acid use 1gram and mix with 120 mL of distilled ...
- Analytical Chemistry 2 - Consider the titration of the weak acid HA with NaOH. ...
- Chemistry help!! - Consider the titration of the weak acid HA with NaOH. At what...
- Chemistry - You are carrying out the titration of 100.0 mL of 1.000M acetic acid...
- Chemistry - Consider a weak acid-strong base titration in which 25.0 mL of 0.100...
- chemistry - titration - Show that for the titration of a weak acid, HA, with ...
- Chemistry (Titration Curves) - Which of the following Acid+Base titration ...
- chemistry - You discovered a new diprotic acid, which you have named edmontonic...
- College Chemistry - I need help with this question!! a sample of pure KHP ...