Posted by Jennifer on Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 12:18am.
a rectangle of integer dimensions is filed with 1x1 tiles. Each tile that touches the perimeter is colored red, while all the "interior" tiles are left white. Let R be the number of red tiles and W the number of whites tiles
find R and W for a 3x10 rectangle
find any and all rectangles for which R and W are equal
Find any and all rectanglef for which R is twice the size of W
Find any and all rectanlges for which E is twice the size of R
- Math - Reiny, Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 9:12am
for the 3x10
total squares = 30
inner W's = 1x8 = 8
Reds = 30-8 = 12
let width be x, and length be y
total squares = xy
W = (x-2)(y-2) = xy -2x -2y + 4
then R = xy - (xy - 2x - 2y +4)
= 2x + 2y - 4
for R = W
2x+2y-4 = xy - 2x - 2y + 4
4y - xy = 8-4x
y(4-x) = 8-4x
y = (8-4x)/(4-x) = 4(x-2)/(x-4)
so pick any value of x , x>4 , and y an integer.
e.g. x = 8, then y = 6
x=12, y= 5
x = 60 , y ≠ integer
since the function approaches 4 as x gets larger, and we are already at y = 5 when x=12
the only two cases are :
8 by 6 or 12 by 5
for R = 2W , try it yourself
for the last one, I don't know what E is . Did you mean W ?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Computer - Suppose there are b black, w white and r red tiles on a table. We are...
- math - TILING A decroative floor pattern has one red square tile surrounded by ...
- !!MATH!! - A decroative floor pattern has one red square tile surrounded by 12 ...
- Math accelerated - A decorative floor pattern has 1red square tile surrounded ...
- Algebra - Marco is making mosaic garden stones using red, yellow, and blue tiles...
- Math - Ben has 8 square tiles. Each tile has a width of 9 inches. He lays the ...
- math - there are 4 blue tile,s 3 yellow tiles, 5 red tiles, and 2 green tiles. ...
- Math - If there are 6 red tiles and 5 blue tiles in a box, what are the chances ...
- Algebra 1 - While playing a game, Rachel pulls two tiles out of a bag without ...
- Probability/Stas - There are 20 red yellow and green tiles in a bag. 1/2 of the ...