Posted by Adam on Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 4:14pm.
A U-shaped tube is partly filled with water and partly filled with a liquid that does not mix with water. Both sides of the tube are open to the atmosphere. If h1 = 0.46 m and h2 = 0.25 m, what is the density of the liquid?
on the left side of the tube is the liquid h2= 0.25 m, and h1= 0.46, and on the right side is the water and its 0.45 m
How can you calculate the density of the liquid?
physics - Elena, Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 4:46pm
Supposing that ρ1 is the density of the unknown liquid, ρ is the density of the water, and g is the gravity acceleration; let's choose a random intersection face at the bottom of the U-tube's bottom. Since the pressures from the both sides balance with each other, we can introduce the equation:
ρ1•h2•g+ ρ •(h1-h2) •g= ρ•0.45•g.
Replace the symbols h1 and h2 with 0.46 m and 0.25 m, respectively,
we can conclude that
ρ1=0.96 ρ =0.96• 1000 = 960 kg/m^3.
physics - Adam, Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 5:10pm
Thank you.I don't know why, but it says the answer is wrong even though i have to answer it as g/cm^3 which would be 960000 g/cm^3 i assume, but even that's wrong! :/ I am really confused I don't know why its wrong.
physics - Elena, Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 5:25pm
I'm sure that my solution is right.
Check your given data.
And more, 960 kg/m^3 = 960 000 g/m^3 =
=0.96 g/cm^3 (1 cm^3 =10^-6 m^3)
physics - Adam, Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 5:35pm
Thank you. It was because of the units my units should have been as g/cm^3, so I got it now. Thank you, I really appreciate it :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - Can someone help me on here? thanks. :) A U-shaped tube is partly ...
- physics - Four tubes are set up in the lab at sea level as shown by the figure. ...
- Physics- PLEASE!! - A U-shaped tube is filled mostly with water, but some ...
- Physics - A U-shaped tube is filled mostly with water, but some vegetable oil ...
- physics - 2) Tube (b) is also filled with water, A1 is 0.05m2 and A2 is 0.08m2 ...
- Physics - The water level in a vertical glass tube 1.40 m long can be adjusted ...
- physics - Container A is sealed (not open to the atmosphere) filled with water ...
- Physics - A 0.8 m diameter tank is filled with water to a depth of 2.2 m and is ...
- physics - Placing a tube, with a radius of .30 cm, vertically into a barrel with...
- physics - (c) Tube (c) is again filled with water. A1 and A2 are the same as in ...