Posted by Hannah on Monday, April 9, 2012 at 4:24pm.
For an acetic acid-sodium acetate buffer to have a pH of 4.64, what molar ratio
of CH3COOH to Na+ CH3COO– is needed?
I know that the Ka value for acetic acid is 1.8e-5 and that I have to divide this value by the value of sodium acetate but I do not understand how you get the value for sodium acetate.
Chemistry(Please help) - DrBob222, Monday, April 9, 2012 at 5:28pm
You want the molar ratio. The easy way to do that is to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.
pH = pKa + log (base)/(acid)
4.64 = 4.74 + log(acetate)/(acetic acid)
Solve for the ratio of
Chemistry(Please help) - DrBob222, Monday, April 9, 2012 at 5:31pm
The other way to do it is
Ka = (H^+)(Ac^-)/(HAc)
Ka/(H^+) = (Ac^-)/(HAc)
1.8E-5/2.29E-5 = (Ac^-)/(HAc)
Chemistry(Please help) - Hannah, Monday, April 9, 2012 at 6:19pm
For the second way, where did the 2.29e-5 come from?
Chemistry(Please help) - DrBob222, Monday, April 9, 2012 at 10:42pm
pH of 4.64. (H^+) = 2.29E-5
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- school - What is the pH of 0.1 M formic acid solution? Ka=1.7„e10-4? What is the...
- Chemistry - A solution of acetic acid, 1.0 mol L–1 CH3COOH, contains sodium ...
- chemistry - You want to make an acetic acid/acetate buffer, pH 3.8, with a ...
- AP Chemistry - We're doing a lab in my class and we're supposed to make a buffer...
- Science - Describe the procedure for preparing 250mL of buffer solution with a ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the volume of 1.00 M acetic acid solution and mass of ...
- Chemistry - You want to prepare a pH=4.50 buffer using sodium acetate and ...
- chemistry - Calculate the volume of 1.00 M acetic acid solution and mass of ...
- College Chemistry - If 10 mL of 1M NaOH are added to one liter of a buffer that ...
- chemistry - How much of each solution will you need to mix to obtain 100 – 120 ...