Posted by Maci on Monday, April 9, 2012 at 3:03pm.
Differentiate between oxide, a peroxide, and a superoxide?
- Chemistry PLZ HELP!!!!! - Laruen , Monday, April 9, 2012 at 3:09pm
In terms of ionic compounds an oxide contain the oxide ion (O2-) Which is a single oxygen atom with a 2- charge.
A peroxide contains the peroxide ion (O22-) which is a particle of two oxygen atoms bonded together and has a 2- charge. Unlike most normal oxides, peroxides tend to be oxidizers or at the very least, unstable.
A superoxide contains the superoxide ion (O2-) which consists of two oxygen atoms bonded together and has a 1- charge. This ion is even more strongly oxidizing than the peroxide ion.
In covalent compounds oxides are substances that contain oxygen in the 2- oxidation state and not bonded ot other oxygen atoms.
Peroxide contain a peroxide group (O2) in which each oxygen atom is bonded to the other oxygen an to another atom, typically carbon or hydrogen. IN this case oxygen is in the 1- oxidation state.
- Chemistry PLZ HELP!!!!! - Maci, Monday, April 9, 2012 at 3:12pm
- Chemistry PLZ HELP!!!!! - Laruen , Monday, April 9, 2012 at 3:16pm
Your welcome! :)
I don't even have chemistry I'm only in the 7th grade ;)
- Chemistry PLZ HELP!!!!! - Maci, Monday, April 9, 2012 at 3:19pm
I'm 16 and graduating in May. But im in advanced chemistry i don't know why but i am :) Thanks again.
- Chemistry PLZ HELP!!!!! - Laruen , Monday, April 9, 2012 at 3:23pm
Your 16 and your graduating!?!??!
Wow you must be very smart
are you supose to graudated when you 17-18???
- Chemistry PLZ HELP!!!!! - DrBob222, Monday, April 9, 2012 at 5:10pm
Laruen gave you good answers.
The oxidation state of oxygen in oxides is -2. In peroxides it is -1. In super oxides it is -1/2.
- Chemistry PLZ HELP!!!!! - Maci, Monday, April 9, 2012 at 6:32pm
Lauren: yes im graduating 2 years early
Bob: that's the one i used!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Please help! - Small quantites of hydrogen peroxide can be prepared ...
- trigo help! - 1. differentiate cos(3/x) 2. differentiate sin(4/x) 3. ...
- Chemistry - Oxygen gas may be prepared by decomposing hydrogen peroxide, h2o2, ...
- Chemistry - How to prepare 100mL of 3% w/w Hydrogen Peroxide from 30% w/w ...
- chemistry - Hydrogen peroxide can be produced in the lab by reacting barium ...
- Chemistry - I have .8ml of 35% by weight hydrogen peroxide. The hydrogen ...
- Math algebra - David Robertson works as a chemical engineer for U.S. peroxide ...
- chemistry - What mass of hydrogen peroxide should result when 1.50g of barium ...
- Chemistry - what volume of oxygen at 423.0K and a pressure of 127.4kPa will be ...
- Chemistry - What amount of hydrogen peroxide should result when 1.21 g of barium...