Posted by Hannah on Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 9:16pm.
What is the pH of 0.144M aqueous solution of ammonium nitrate?
I am not sure what to do. Would I do 10^-0.144^ = 0.71?
- Chemistry(Please help) - DrBob222, Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 9:36pm
No. You go through the hydrolysis equation.
.........NH4^+ + H2O ==> H3O^+ + NH3
Ka for NH4^+ = (Kw/Kb for NH3) = (NH3)(H3O^+)/(NH4^+)
Substitute for NH3 and H3O^+ in the above. Substitute 0.144-x for NH4 and solve for x = (H3O^+), then convert to pH.
- Chemistry(Please help) - Hannah, Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 9:53pm
so the values for both NH3 and H3O are 0?
- Chemistry(Please help) - DrBob222, Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 10:34pm
No. They are x. And you're solving for x. And you convert x to pH.
- Chemistry(Please help) - Hannah, Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 10:39pm
For the Ka of NH4^+^ I did 1.0e-14/1.83-5 = 5.55e-10. What do I do with this value?
So for (NH3)(H3O) / NH4 it would be
- Chemistry(Please help) - DrBob222, Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 10:43pm
Kb = 5.55E-10 so
5.55E-10 = x^2/0.144-x
- Chemistry(Please help) - Hannah, Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 10:43pm
oh ok I get it, thank you!!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - How many moles of ammonium nitrate is created from 10.7 grams of ...
- chemistry - When 0.25M (Molarity) aqueous solutions of ammonium chloride and ...
- Qualitative analysis - Aqueous sodium hydroxide is added to a mixture of an ...
- Chemistry - How do you calculate the standard enthalpy change for the reaction ...
- Chemistry - An aqueous solution of ammonium nitrate NH4NO2 decomposeds when ...
- Chemistry - A cold pack manufacturer has decided to change the chemical in their...
- Chemistry - - create a balanced chemical equation and state the type of ...
- Chemistry - When 10.0 g of ammonium nitrate (molar mass= 80 g/mol) are dissolved...
- Chemistry - How do these react? Some may have no reaction. a. aqueous chromium(...
- chemistry - What is the percent by mass of 3.55 g NaCl dissolved in 88 g H2O? 2...