Posted by Jacob on Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 3:47pm.
A magician writes a list of numbers, 1 through 10, on the board then turns his back to the board. Two audience members are asked to write different numbers from 1-10 in the first two spaces. One of the spectators adds the two numbers and places the result in position 3. Then they add the second and third number and write the result in position 4, add the third and fourth number and place result in 5th space, etc., until all 10 spaces are filled. The magician glances quickly at the board to make sure they have filled all 10 spaces, then turns away from the board. The spectators are then asked to add the column of 10 numbers and place the grand total below at the bottom of the column. Before they can add the numbers, the magician announces the total!
Discuss the basic mathematics behind the above magic effect. Discuss how the magician can quickly tell the sum of all the numbers before the participants are able to add them up. (
- calculus - Reiny, Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 8:25pm
let the first two numbers written down be
x and y
the numbers would appear this way
21x+34y , notice the "Fibonacci Number" pattern
total = 55x + 88y
= 11(5x + 8y)
The magician should be reasonably capable of doing some quick mental arithmetic
.... multiply the first number by 5 and the 2nd by 8, add those up, and multiply the result by 11
suppose the first 2 numbers written down are
4 and 7
5 times 4= 20, and 8 times 7 = 56
20+56 = 76
multiplying a two digit number by 11 is easy ...
11x76 = 836
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- 6th grade - on a 30-board used for factors. pick two different numbers on the 30...
- factorization - In a game, you draw a card with three consecutive numbers on it...
- math - In a game, you draw a card with three consecutive numbers on it. You can ...
- Finance - Blue Moon Corporation has one million shares of common stock ...
- Maths Please Help - Alex and Bella play the following game. They first choose a ...
- physics - Two children are having a splashing competition using a diving board. ...
- MATH Help! - Can some one help?? A class elects two officers, a president and a ...
- math - Ok. So I have a game board with my homework and the numbers are 1,2,3,4,5...
- MATH - I need help on this question plz The mean of Five numbers is 28. Two of ...
- algebra - The sum of two numbers is 81. The second is 6 more than 2 times the ...