Posted by Miaow on Friday, April 6, 2012 at 11:15pm.
Consider the decomposition of a metal oxide to its elements, where M represents a generic metal:
M2O3 (s) <=> 2M (s) + 3/2 O2 (g)
Given a delta Gf: -770 Kj for the M2O3
0 Kj for the M
0 Kj for the O2
What is the standard change in Gibbs energy for the reaction, as written, in the forward direction?
* I think -770 Kj ??
What is the equilibrium constant of this reaction, as written, in the forward direction at 298 K?
* K is products over reactants which leaves me with 0 ???
What is the equilibrium pressure of O2(g) over M(s) at 298 K?
* I honestly have no idea and am not even sure how to approach this!
Any information is greatly appreciated, thank you!
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, April 6, 2012 at 11:54pm
Right digits; wrong sign.
dGrxn = (n*dG products) - (dG reactants) = (0) - (-770) = +770.
dG = -RT*lnK
Substitute and solve for Kp.
Kp = pO23/2
- Chemistry - Miaow, Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 12:25am
Thank you VERY much!
- Chemistry - J, Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 2:09pm
I still don't understand what to do after setting the K= pO2^(3/2). What do you substitute into the O2?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Consider the decomposition of a metal oxide to its elements where m ...
- Chemistry - If 200 g. of an unknown metal oxide, M2O3, upon reaction with ...
- Chemistry - a 9.85 g sample of an unknown metal M is burned in the presence of ...
- Chem - A 0.370mol sample of a metal oxide (M2O3) weighs 55.4g. How many moles of...
- Chem - Consider the decomposition of a metal oxide to its elements, where M ...
- Chemistry - A Sample of M2O3 weighing 11.205g is converted to 15.380g of MCL3, ...
- Chemistry - Consider the decomposition of a metal oxide to its elements, where M...
- chemistry pls help me asap - 2.08g of metal Y react with 0.96g of oxygen to form...
- Chemistry - Aluminum metal reacts with iron (III) oxide to produce aluminum ...
- Chemistry - In an experiment 1.015 g of a metal carbonate, containing an unknown...