Posted by Anonymous on Friday, April 6, 2012 at 4:32pm.
Twins who are 19.0 years of age leave the earth and travel to a distant planet 12.0 light-years away. Assume that the planet and earth are at rest with respect to each other. The twins depart at the same time on different spaceships. One twin travels at a speed of 0.854c, and the other twin travels at 0.513c.
(a) According to the theory of special relativity, what is the difference between their ages when they meet again at the earliest possible time?
The answer is 4.3 years, but I'm not sure how they arrived at that...
Physics Question - Steve, Friday, April 6, 2012 at 5:06pm
travel time: 12c/.854c = 14.05 yr
travel time: 12c/.513c = 23.39 yr
so, twin #1 travels for 14.05 yr and waits 9.34 yr for twin #2 to arrive.
However, time dilation slowed aging for the twins:
twin #1: t' = .520t -- sqrt(1-.854^2)
twin #2: t' = .858t -- sqrt(1-.513^2)
twin #1 aged 14.05*.520 = 7.31 yrs in transit
twin #2 aged 23.29*.858 = 20.07 yrs in transit
twin #1 age: 7.31+9.34 = 16.65 yrs
twin #2 age: 20.07 yrs
difference: 3.4 yrs
I also did not get 4.3 years, though maybe I'm dyslexic.
Anyone see where I went astray?
Physics Question - Elena, Friday, April 6, 2012 at 5:52pm
Lo = 12 light years (ly)
β2 = 0.513
Twin1: L1 =Lo•sqrt(1- (β1)^2) = 12• Lo•sqrt(1- (0.854)^2) = 6.24 ly,
Twin2: L2 =Lo•sqrt(1- (β2)^2) = 12• Lo•sqrt(1- (0.513.)^2) = 10.3 ly.
The time to reach the planet:
Twin1: t1 = L1/v1 = 6.24 ly/0.854c = 7.307 years,
Twin2: t2 = L2/v2 = 10.3 ly/0.513c = 20.08 years.
The age of each twin when each arrives at the planet
Twin1: 19 + 7.307 =26.307 years,
Twin2: 19 + 20.08 =39.08 years.
Twin1 has to wait for twin 2 to arrive. As seen from Earth
Δt1 = (12 ly)/0.854 c = 14.05 years,
Δt2 = (12 ly)/0.513 c = 23.39 years.
Twin1 must wait another 23.39 – 14.05 = 9.34 years for Twin2 to arrive.
When Twin2 arrives, twin A has an age of
24.8 + 9.34 =34.14 years.
The difference between their ages when they meet is
39.08 -34.14 = 4.94 years.
(The answer 4.3 years may be obtained if you take β1 =0.900, β2 = 0.500)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics help please - Twins who are 19.0 years of age leave the earth and travel...
- Physics - Hi,I need help with question 1) There were twins on our planet earth. ...
- physics help 3!! ** - Based on the following data about planet X (which orbits ...
- Physics - At planet X, there is another planet called Y about 34 million light ...
- Physics - Suppose a planet is discovered orbiting a distant star with 13 times ...
- physics - On a distant planet, golf is just as popular as it is on earth. A ...
- Physics - On a distant planet, golf is just as popular as it is on earth. A ...
- physics - Imagine a planet that orbited the sun at a distance three times that ...
- physics - Consider a situation where immediately after birth, twins are ...
- Physics - The acceleration due to gravity on a planet other than the earth has a...