Posted by Tamera on Friday, March 30, 2012 at 3:37pm.
1. For cutting dress fabric, it's recommended that you use
A. pinking shears.
B. a seam ripper.
C. dressmakers shears.
D. small scissors.
2. When working with knitted fabrics, you should use
A. glass ball pins.
B. ballpoint pins.
C. short fine pins.
D. quilting pins.
3. The following is used for ripping seams:
A. small scissors.
B. embroidery scissors.
C. seam ripper.
D. razor blade.
4. Needle sizes range from
A. 1 to 12.
B. 6 to 20.
C. 8 to 12.
D. 10 to 15.
5. The best needles for hand sewing are short and egg-eyed. These needles are called
6. This item is used for woolens to obtain flat, sharp edges.
A. Pressing cushion
B. Wooden clapper
C. Pressing cloth
D. Velvet board
7. Temporary stitches are called
A. slip stitches.
B. loop stitches.
D. hand stitches.
8. Which one of the following is recommended for pressing armhole seams?
A. Damp pressing cloth
B. Pressing cushion
C. Dry pressing cloth
D. Wooden clapper
9. Most hand sewing begins and ends with
A. a slip stitch.
B. stay stitching.
C. a double back stitch.
10. In this study unit, what length thread is recommended for hand sewing?
A. 12 to 14 inches
B. 20 to 25 inches
C. 15 to 20 inches
D. 30 to 36 inches
11. Machine stitching is unsuitable for
A. stay stitching.
B. soft hems.
D. open seams.
12. The seam most often used for dressmaking is the
A. French seam.
B. open seam with pinked edges.
C. open seam.
D. flat-felled seam.
13. If you are 5 ft 2 in. tall, and you want to measure your hips, you measure _______ inches from your natural waistline.
14. The thick outer line on a pattern piece is the
A. cutting line.
B. sewing line.
C. basting line.
D. alteration line.
15. To take a neck measurement, place the measuring tape
A. tightly around the center portion of the neck.
B. loosely around the top of the neck, directly below the chin.
C. closely around the base of the neck.
D. loosely around the base of the neck.
16. The front of the pattern envelope contains
A. the views or styles.
B. the fabric suggestions.
C. material yardage.
17. Which one of these dress sizes is most suitable for the girl or woman whose measurements are bust 35 in., waist 28 in., and hips 37 in.?
A. 12 ½ Half Size
B. 13 Junior Petite
C. 14 Misses
18. What does grain of the fabric mean?
A. The selvage edge
B. The straight thread of the fabric
C. The cut edge of the fabric
D. The fold of the fabric
19. Interfacing is used to
A. prevent fabric from shrinking.
B. reduce bulk.
C. give strength and support.
D. enclose raw edges.
20. The various categories of patterns (e.g. Misses, Junior Petite) refer to
B. figure type.
21. The warp of a fabric refers to
A. its wrong side.
B. the lengthwise threads of the fabric.
C. the crosswise threads of the fabric.
D. the outside of the fabric.
22. A men's separate coat in short length would be suitable for a man whose height is
A. 5 ft 6 in. through 6 ft 2 in.
B. 4 ft 6 in. through 5 ft.
C. 5 ft through 5 ft 6 in.
D. taller than 6 ft 2 in.
23. This type of stitching prevents stretching while a garment is being constructed.
A. Stay stitching
B. Top stitching
C. Under stitching
D. Baste stitching
24. An overgarment worn with, and slightly shorter than, a straight skirt is called a
25. To shorten a pattern in the bodice area, make a pleat in the pattern paper ________ of the desired reduction.
A. equal to the amount
B. three-quarters of the depth
C. half the depth
D. twice the depth
Answer this Question
- sewing - for cutting dress fabric its recommended that you use?
- design - 1. Which one of the following correctly states how gussets for panties...
- please,help, thanks - 1. Which one of the following correctly states how gussets...
- Math - Ratio or Proportion (I think??) - Hello, I'm looking for guidance on how ...
- dress making design - s nap fasteners are sewn with the knob halves attached to ...
- dress making and design - Bring fabric back to an even width after it has been ...
- Music/Beatles - I'm an elementary school music teacher, and my 4th graders are ...
- sewing - hi i need to make a dress out of some fabric that i have. but i don't ...
- dress making - wanted some help with questions 1. You would like to add a row of...
- dressmaking and design - Could you help explain please ?Troy would like you to ...