Posted by naseba on Friday, March 30, 2012 at 8:35am.
2. The rate of change in the number of bacteria in a culture is proportional to the number present. In a certain laboratory experiment, a culture has 10,000 bacterial initially, 20,000 bacteria at time t1 minutes, and 100,000 bacteria at (t1 + 10) minutes.
a. In terms of t only, find the number of bacteria in the culture at any time t minutes, t ≥ 0,
b. How many bacteria were there after 20 minutes?
c. How many minutes had elapsed when the 20,000 bacteria were observed?
- calculus - Reiny, Friday, March 30, 2012 at 8:52am
The function must have the form
N(t) = a e^kt , where a is the intitial number and k is a constant , and t is in minutes
for t=0 , a = 10000
for t = t1
20000 = 10000 e^(kt1)
2 = e^(kt1)
for t = t1+10
100000 = 10000 e^(k(t1+10)
10 = e^(kt1 + 10k)
divide the two equations
5 = e^(10k)
ln5 = 10klne
10k = ln5
k = ln5/10
a) N(t) = 10000 e^(ln5/10 t)
when t = 20
N(20) = 10000 e^(ln5/10 (20)) = 250 000
c) when N(t) = 20000
2 = e^(ln5/10 t)
ln2 = ln5/10 t
t = 10ln2/ln5 = 4.3067
so in effect we found the "doubling time" to be appr. 4.307 minutes
(we can now also check if for t = 4.307 + 10 or t=14.307 we get N = 50000
10000 e^(ln5/10 (14.307))
= 10000 e^2.302623
= 100 004 , not bad
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - Two Questions: 1) A certain radioactive isotope has leaked into a ...
- Math - I'm not sure how to do this question 7. The growth of bacteria in culture...
- MATH :) - 3. In Biology, it is found that the bacteria in a certain culture ...
- pre calculus - if there are initial 2500 bacteria in a culture, and the number ...
- College Algebra - The number of bacteria in a certain culture increased from ...
- Algebra 2 - If there are initially 1500 bacteria in a culture, and the number of...
- Pre-Calc/Trig... - is this the correct formula for me to solve this? A bacteria ...
- math - The number of bacteria in a culture is modeled by: n(t) = 1330e^(0.42t) (...
- Physics - On earth, a certain type of bacteria doubles in number every 24 hours...
- Calculus :) - The number of bacteria in a culture is modeled by n(t)=1550e^(0....