Posted by Priscilla on Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 10:33pm.
Calculate the level from which the electron fell, n2, for the hydrogen line you observed.
wavelength (lambda) = 400 nm
n1 = 2
RH = 2.18 x 10^-18
I keep having trouble with finding n2. Is the above given right to plug in for 1/(lambda) = RH (1/n1^2 - n2^2)
thank you for any help
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 10:43pm
no. Your constant is not right.
The Rydberg constant, RH = 1.097E7.
1/wavelenth = RH(1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2)
wavelength must be converted to meters.
- Chemistry - Priscilla, Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 10:46pm
Okay, I was solving out this this equation for n2^2
n2^2 = 1(1/n - E/Rh)
Is this right?
- Chemistry - Priscilla, Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 10:53pm
If its okay, can you show me in detail how to find n2^2 because I have done this three times and I'm still a little confused by this.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 10:56pm
I think it is far easier to substitute the numbers, then do the math than try to manipulate all of the variables. I use one of the following where w = wavelength:
1/w = 2.180E-19/hc x (1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2) but it is much easier to simplify that by
1/w = RH(1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2). That formula is the original Rydberg formula I believe. Using the 2.180 number as well as substituting h and c is just asking for more places for a mistake in my opinion.
- Chemistry - Priscilla, Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 11:11pm
ok thank you very much
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Energy Level Transfer of Hydrogen's electron. For each line, ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the wavelength, in nanometers, of the spectral line ...
- chemistry - help needed in drawing the diagram to show how hydrogen has numerous...
- Chemistry - A line in the Balmer series of hydrogen has a wavelength of 486 nm. ...
- Physics - Hi I was wondering if somebody could help me with this question? ...
- Atomic physics - 5)a. Electrons accelerated by a potential difference of 12.23 V...
- chem - What is the wavelength (in nm) of the line in the spectrum of the ...
- Chemistry - A line in the Lyman series of the hydrogen atom emission results ...
- chemistry - The electron in the n = 5 level of a hydrogen atom emits a photon ...
- Chem - Hello What is the wavelength (in nm) of the line in the spectrum of the ...